We are seeking an exceptionally talented Bioinformatics Engineer to join our R&D team and build cutting edge tools and data management systems to store and serve high-dimensional experimental data with near-term emphasis on high-volume next-generation sequencing (NGS) data in the cloud.
Who You Are
The successful candidate should be motivated by the opportunity to contribute to the discovery and development of clinically vital diagnostic tests that dramatically improve patient outcome and quality of life. You should be a creative problem solver who loves working in a multidisciplinary team of bioinformatics scientists, wet lab biologists and statisticians. This individual will be responsible for design, implementation and management of cutting edge cloud-based data management systems empowering analysis of very large biological and clinical data sets (including NGS, microarray and other data types) using Amazon Web Services (AWS). A bachelors or master’s degree in computer science, systems engineering or equivalent with a minimum of 2 years applicable professional experience is necessary.
- Demonstrated expertise in working within AWS-based cloud computing (EC2) and storage (EBS/S3) services.
- Ability to extract, merge, clean and verify data from a wide variety of sources (databases, text files, external sources, etc).
- Ability to design and implement data stores in which to efficiently store and retrieve high volume data (PostgreSQL and NoSQL/CouchDB experience preferred).
- Experience in Linux-based high-performance computing environments.
- Adherence to modern software engineering practices including agile development methodologies, maintaining code under version control, code reviews, etc.
- Previous experience managing NGS data and implementing cloud-based storage systems.
- Experience in supporting scientific computing infrastructures including GridEngine, Hadoop, and other distributed computing systems.
- Experience in CLIA, FDA or other regulated environments.
- Experience with microservices-oriented architectures, Docker, Vagrant, etc.
- Experience with automated provisioning systems including Fabric, Puppet, Chef, Ansible, etc.
- Expertise in the use of R (including Bioconductor and R package development).
What We Can Offer You
Veracyte is a growing company that offers significant career opportunities if you are curious, driven, patient-oriented and aspire to help us build a great company. We work collaboratively across disciplines, offering you the opportunity to constantly learn from your colleagues and, together, to publish frequently. We offer conveniences including an on-site gym and free shuttle service from nearby BART and CalTrain stations. We are a company with heart and believe in positively impacting the world beyond our doors by providing our product to those who cannot afford it through a financial assistance program. Veracyte seeks the best employees and works to create an environment in which they can thrive, expanding their knowledge and skill set all while contributing at the highest level.
Veracyte is pioneering molecular cytology; we are dedicated to helping people avoid unnecessary invasive procedures just to get a diagnosis and to reducing healthcare costs at the same time. We use rigorous science to unlock genomic answers from tiny numbers of cells obtained through minimally invasive methods before surgery is needed. We launched our first product the Afirma® Thyroid FNA Analysis, with a genomic test at its core in record time and have already helped save thousands of patients from unnecessary surgery due to ambiguous thyroid nodule biopsy results. Our genomic test is offered by hundreds of physicians around the country, is covered by Medicare and private payers, and is clinically validated, including in a multicenter study published in the New England Journal of Medicine. We are in late product development for a genomic test in the lung cancer space which we expect to introduce by the middle of this year, and are also developing a second product in pulmonology, targeting interstitial lung diseases. The Wall Street Journal named us to its list of top-50 venture capital-funded companies in 2011, BayBio honored us with its Fast Start award in 2012, and In Vivo: The Business and Medicine Report featured us recently as a model for how to build a molecular cytology company. In 2014 our employees voted us a Bay Area News Group Top Workplace.
Click here for more information.