The new direction of Institut Pasteur has defined bioinformatics and systems biology as strategic priorities. A « Center for Bioinformatics, Biostatistics and Integrative Biology » has been recently created on the Parisian Campus. The objective of this center is to federate and strengthen capacities in bioinformatics in different yet complementary research areas developed within the Institute, such as genomics of hosts and pathogens, biology of infection, evolutionary genetics, population genetics, structural biology or health biology.
In this framework, Institut Pasteur proposes 10 permanent positions in bio-informatics and biostatistics for 2015. People will be affiliated to the new center and to the Hub of bioinformatics and biostatistics and will be supervised by the director of the Center. They may be assigned for most of their time to research units and / or platforms to work on different projects while being close to the data and experimental biology.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Provide support to research units and platforms for the bio-informatical and/or statistical analysis of their data. This support will be provided in various forms:
- Advise and guide in the use of existing methods and tools,
- maintain an active bibliographical survey and evaluate existing tools and methods,
- develop new methods and tools when necessary,
- collaborate with research units and platforms to analyse their data,
- help to define and implement research projects that need a dedicated analysis process within collaborative projects such as ANR, ERC ...,
- transfer knowledge and tools in bioinformatics and biostatistics towards research units and platforms, provide training in bio-informatics and biostatistics to the campus and more widely to the international network of Instituts Pasteur and to other research organisms that collaborate with the Institute.
- Perpetuate and maintain methods and tools developed by research units and ensure their integration within open platforms such as Galaxy, Mobyle, ...,
- Actively participate to the implementation of the web portal of the Pasteur Institute's bio-informatics platform which will give access to a large number of bio-informatics services to the Pasteur Institute's staff and worldwide.
You hold an engineer or master degree in (bio)informatics, (bio)statistics, (bio)physics, applied mathematics or any other related domain, and you have at least 3 years experience in bio-informatics and/or biostatistics in research or support to research activity, in private or academic laboratories in France or abroad,
You hold a PhD in bio-informatics, biostatistics or biophysics, and you have at least 3 years experience in bioinformatics and/or biostatistics in research or support to research activity, in private or academic laboratories in France or abroad. Senior positions are open to people who do not hold a PhD but have at least 8 years experience in one of these domains. For this profile, the recruited persons may be in charge of the animation of thematic groups within the Hub and will participate in the evaluation, implementation and follow-up of projects submitted to the Hub.
These positions require a training or a significant experience in bio-informatics or statistics applied to biological data including those derived from high throughput sequencing as well as excellent communication skills and a taste for the work in collaboration. In priority we are seeking for skills in the following domains:
- NGS (including Chip-seq, single cell sequencing...)
- functional analysis and annotation of genomes and proteomes
However, training and experience in the following domains will also be appreciated: population genetics, alignment and sequence analysis, biological databases, programming, data integration, design of web interfaces, modeling, exploratory statistics, statistical inference, ... We strongly encourage high quality applications even from outside of these domains.
Applications will close on May 15th, 2015. Candidates pre-selection will take place on May 20th, 2015. Short-listed candidates will be called for an interview on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th of June, 2015 (dates to be reserved absolutely).
Apply here: https://c3bi.pasteur.fr/hub-available-positions/