Please give advice on job search.
At the moment I work for a biopharmaceutical company; the core of my tasks focuses on the applied area of computer science. But the most interesting for me involves:
- .. processing of large amounts of data in the field associated with biology/medicine (bioinformatics);
- .. the use of machine learning methods (SVM, regression models, neural networks, etc.);
- .. the collective work with educated people who like me are committed to knowledge sharing and effective joint activity;
- .. the constant acquisition of new knowledge to improve the quality and speed of work.
I live in Moscow (Russia), and, unfortunately, could not find the opportunity to apply my skills in interesting field of analysis of biological or medical data with machine learning techniques. Then searching the Internet I came across Where To Advertise Or Find Bioinformatics Jobs. At first I thought this is what I need, but clicking on the recommended links I found really interesting jobs, but with the requirement that the candidate had a degree Postdoc. Unfortunately, I do not have this degree. But I'm sure there must be some area in which my knowledge will be enough to help solve the problem in an interesting area for me (the analysis of biological or medical data with machine learning techniques).
Where I should look for a job with the aim of applying my skills? Please feel free to give any advice if necessary. I am willing to work remote work/part-time work/relocate for work full time.
To better understand my skills, I have briefly described them below:
- Academic degree: Master (2012) / Moscow Bauman State Technical University / Fundamental Science, Technical Physics
- Basic knowledge of programming languages: SQL, VBA, Python;
- Experience with mathematical and statistical packages: R (R studio), Maxima, Octave (similar to MATLAB);
- Successfully created a complex physical model in COMSOL Multiphysics;
- Experience in software development on Agile principles.
Courses that I recently finished:
- Machine Learning (by Andrew Ng) / Coursera.org, Stanford University
- The Data Scientist's Toolbox / Coursera.org, Johns Hopkins University Data Science Specialization
- Getting and Cleaning Data / Coursera.org, Johns Hopkins University Data Science Specialization
- R Programming / Coursera.org, Johns Hopkins University Data Science Specialization
- Scrum. Management of team software development / Computer training center "Specialist" / www.specialist.ru
- Bioinformatics Algorithms (Part 1) / Coursera.org University of California, San Diego
- Statistics / Bioinformatics Institute / bioinformaticsinstitute.ru
- Introduction to R / Datacamp.com
In the coming months to complete specialization in coursera.org: "Data Science" and "Genomic Data Science"
Goals I want to achieve:
I am determined to commit myself to improving people's quality of life through the development and promotion of biological data analysis.