Job Purpose and Summary:
Be a critical member of a large precision medicine initiative! Working closely with other bioinformatics and IT staff within the Center for Personalized Medicine, the Applications Architect will create and implement software solutions for managing, processing, transforming, integrating and analyzing a large amount of genomic and clinical data of heterogeneous types. Serve as a technical lead in support of the center’s analytical needs. Design and implement software solutions that adequately address the computational needs of hundreds of terabytes of genomic data with increasing complexity while complying with hospital guidelines and maintaining compliance with regulatory bodies. Implement state-of-the art computational storage and data retrieval methods, and develop innovative analytical methods to enable the implementation of rigorous diagnostic tests. Function both independently and in a team environment to plan, design, develop, modify, and maintain new and existing professional grade databases and database applications. Responsible for all phases of software development life cycle and create deliverables by the end of each stage. Write SOPs and train users. Interact with clients, vendors and hospital IT support group efficiently. Provide IT support for group staff when necessary.
• M.S. in Computer Science, Computational Biology, Bioinformatics or related field with 2-5 years of related work experience, or Ph.D. with 1-3 years experience or equivalent
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities required:
• Advanced - expert level UNIX/linux background and bash scripting experience
• Strong programming skills (C++, Java, etc.)
• Advanced scripting language experience (Perl, Python, Ruby, etc.).
• Experience in structured and unstructured database development (Oracle/SQL/MySQL/PostgreSQL/MongoDB/NoSQL)
• Exposure to big data technologies (Pig, Hive, Impala, Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS), HBase, GPFS)
• Experience with developing RESTful APIs (XML/JSON/HTML/YAML)
• Web development and UI experience highly desired (LAMP/HTML/XML/CSS/PHP etc.)
• Demonstrated ability to implement and understand complex algorithms
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and overlapping deadlines
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
Additional Skills and Abilities:
• LIMS experience is a plus
• EMR/EHR experience/integration is a plus
• Familiarity with genomic databases/data types is a plus
For questions, please contact Dr. Xiaowu Gai by email, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Purpose and Summary: