Organizational Marketing Statement
A career at Pfizer offers opportunity, ownership and impact. All over the world, Pfizer colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere.Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged;and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. Pfizer, a global leader in the biopharmaceutical industry,is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
The Translational and Bioinformatics Group is seeking a Bioinformatics Data and Application Specialist to join our team and drive forward Pfizer's Precision Medicine software portfolio. The successful candidate will contribute to the development, implementation and support of new and existing bioinformatics, 'omics, genetics and clinical data and informatics solutions, including data management pipelines, applications and data aggregation tools and visualizations. In addition, the candidate will collaborate with team members and scientists across Pfizer to improve and further develop existing informatics systems and data workflows. They will possess a strong software development background and complementary scientific and computational biology knowledge.
• Designs, codes, tests, corrects and documents moderately complex programs and program modifications from supplied specifications, using agreed standards and tools. Conducts reviews of supplied specifications, with others as appropriate.
• Leveraging a deep knowledge of scientific workflows for omics, genetics and clinical data, specifies user/system interfaces and translates logical designs into physical designs taking account of target environment, performance requirements and existing Precision Medicine informatics systems. Produces detailed designs and documents all work using required standards, methods and tools, including prototyping tools where appropriate.
• Harmonizes and consolidates Precision Medicine application, data and infrastructure through new and existing solutions.
• Supports and maintains the existing Precision Medicine application portfolio.
• Maintains and extends existing informatics pipelines.
• Integrates and analyzes data from disparate public, commercial and proprietary sources.
• Applies data analysis, data modeling and quality assurance techniques, based upon a detailed understanding of molecular data workflows to establish, modify or maintain data structures and associated components (entity descriptions, relationship descriptions and attribute definitions). Advises database designers and other application development team members on the details of data structures and associated components.
• Strong technical, analytical, and problem solving skills
• Strong communication abilities
• A solid understanding of genomics and genetics data and analysis methods
• Excellent computer programming skills
• Interest in learning new technologies, frameworks and programming languages and keeping upto-date
• A dedication to software development best practices and methodologies (unit testing, TDD, Agile, code reviews, etc.)
• BS and 8+ years of experience OR MS and 5+ years of experience OR PhD and 2+ years of experience focused on developing software solutions in the pharmaceutical or biotech research sector.
• Demonstrated ability with several of the following: Java/J2EE, Groovy, .NET (VB, C#, ASP), SharePoint, Oracle, JDBC, SQL, Unix/Linux, Windows.
• Mastery of at least one programming language/platform.
• Demonstrated experience designing scientific (web and thick) applications along with experience developing scientific data visualization solutions. Ideally using one of the following: Java, AngularJS, D3.js, GWT.
• Demonstrated experience designing or using genomics and genetics data pipelines. Good scripting skills required in either R/Perl/Bash.
• Knowledge of R and RServe and a good understanding of statistics is a plus.
• Experience integrating genomics and genetics data from different sources in different formats.
• LIMS development experience is a plus.
• Experience or interest in mobile solutions design and development.
Informatics position – primary work with be computer-based.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
**To be considered for this position, please apply to Job ID 1022796 on www.PfizerCareers.com**