There are many free software for bioinformatics people, and many of them use Java as the GUI programmation language. All of them have very good features , and we all probably use one of them. But Java make the GUI ugly, unresponsive, it is very slow, it depends of java and you have a non zero probably to crash it cause of the memory usage! I don't say anything about the language, but you probably understand why!
So, I suggest you all to switch to the Qt5 framework !
Qt ( Cute ) is a C++ framework that works everywhere : Linux, Mac , windows and also mobile, tablet or embeded devices . It uses LGPL license ( there is also a commercial license ) .
If you are afraid of C++, don't worry! Qt has a very hight level language, and it's very easy to understand! It also provides a Really good IDE ( Qt creator)! And it's far away from the worst IDE of all the time ( Eclipse). There is also a new declarative Language called "QML" which help you to design the graphics interface! You keep C++ for the logic! It's awesome, my grand mother would be able to design a nice interface ! :D
For exemple, you will be able to :
- Communicate with REST API using QtNetwork! And even play with WebSocket
- Create a web client in few lines
- Use the power of OpenGL 3 easily, and from any OS! Shaders are so funs !
- Use the Model & View class to display realy realy big dataset as list , table or tree !!
- Create nice and fast interface using C++ or the new awesome declarative language : QML
- On supported device : Bluetooth, GPS, Map, Accelerometer , camera etc...
- use QMatrix, QTransform, QQuaternion and enjoy mathematics !
- Draw using QPainter , or QGraphicsScene or openGL
- Play with Mysql, sqlite, Postgre and even more !
if you want to have taste , here are software made or has switch to Qt :
- Alamut visual : Commercial human genom browser ! Really Really nice !
- robomongo : if you want to play with mongodb
- VirtualBox : The virtualisation tool
- KDE : the graphic desktop environement
- ubuntu touch : the mobile phone
- vlc : the video player
- Speedcrunch : a lovely calculator
- Spotify : commercial music player
- Wireshark : has switch rencently
- QCustomPlot [ LIBRARY ] : if you love charts !!
- pyQt : Qt with Python
- Qml-Material [ LIBRARY ]: make an android application with the native look & feel
- ZodiakGraph[ LIBRARY ] : if you like play with graphs !
- ZeGrapher : graphics calculator
- BioQt [ LIBRARY ]: he starts the project
- Github : Every library which start with a Q !
Some video to watch :
- QtQuick .. amazing
- QtQuick + instant shaders programming : Completly awesome
- Qml material : google design rule
have fun ! And say "good bye java" !