The successful candidate will work with a team of bioinformaticians, wet lab scientists, and software developers to develop analytical, statistical, and visualization algorithms, implement tools and software pipelines used to analyze large biological datasets e.g. DNA/RNA sequencing data.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work closely with senior bioinformatics scientists and bench scientists to develop analysis and visualization tools, and pipelines for analysis of large biological datasets
- Debug pipelines and address pipeline issues raised by internal users in R&D and external collaborators
- Perform benchmark analysis and evaluate pipeline performance
- Support basic data analysis relating to pipeline performance
- Evaluate third party bioinformatics tools for applications to our data
- Collaborate effectively with other employees to help advance the company’s research and development and commercial goals
- PhD in bioinformatics, biology, or equivalent.
- Extensive experience in Genomics, understanding and familiarity with public genomic databases and methods to work with them, mainly NCBI (GenBank, RefSeq, etc.), UCSC, ENSEMBL, etc.
- Proficiency in data analysis using Python (preferable) or R
- Significant Python programming skills
- Experience with Next Generation Sequencing technologies, tool usage, and data analysis
- Experience with relational databases (e.g. PostgreSQL) and SQL language
- Experience with Linux, shell (e.g. Bash) scripting
- Team-oriented, strong communicator who effectively adjusts to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Able to prioritize and deliver results with a high emphasis on quality, technical rigor, and attention to detail.
- Experience with network analysis, machine learning algorithms highly desirable
- Experience with software and pipeline development
- Experience of development and computing in cloud (e.g. Amazon Web Services) and cluster environments (e.g. SGE/UGE)
Location: Menlo Park, CA