I have a list of gene names and I want to know the function of each gene. I tried using the Biomart website but couldn't find a list with gene function. For instance, is it possible to get the CC, MF, and BP GO terms from that website?
From Biomart, you can easily obtain the GO CC, MF and BP you are looking for:
- Choose Ensembl database 83 for example
- Choose your organism (S. cerevisiae for example)
- OPTIONAL : If you want info on a subset of genes only : click on FILTER and add your gene list in the Input external references ID list textbox
- Click on ATTRIBUTES then EXTERNAL
- Tick the box for the go term
- Click on result at the top of the page to visualize or download them!
edit : Optional point added as suggested by Emily_Ensembl
You can try Enrichr, an online gene enrichment tool which features many databases.
Just copy&paste the list of gene symbols, and then select the enrichment dataset you prefer. In your case I would look at the pathways and ontologies.