Technical Manager in Bioinformatics Startup
Where: Dezyme, a spin-off company of the Université Libre de Bruxelles
General context: The control of the physicochemical and biological properties of proteins is a major biotechnological challenge. Proteins are increasingly used as catalysts for their high specificity and performance in the development of environment-friendly bioprocesses. Moreover, therapeutic proteins, monoclonal antibodies and protein vaccines are key targets in the biomedical and biopharmaceutical sectors. A suite of software tools were developed, which predict the effect of point mutations on the thermodynamic and thermal stabilities on the basis of the experimental or modeled structure of the wild type protein. These tools are extremely helpful for rational protein design, by limiting the number of mutations to be tested experimentally. To provide access to this suite of software, an SaaS platform called dezyme (www.dezyme.com) has been set up. The dezyme startup, which is now being created, will in a first stage focus on selling software licenses and providing dedicated services (in-silico protein optimization with possible experimental validation).
Job description: As one of the first employees of the startup, the successful candidate will be responsible for a very broad series of tasks - scientific, technical and commercial -, and progressively become the technical manager. More specifically this job will include:
- Optimization and maintenance of existing software and website for the design of more stable proteins;
- Design and development of new software tools;
- Application of these tools to optimize proteins for customers (dedicated services);
- Technical presentations for customers, in collaboration with business developer;
- Customer support.
- PhD in Sciences, preferentially in structural bioinformatics;
- Programming skills (in C);
- Interest in business development, entrepreneurial spirit;
- Autonomous and voluntary personality;
- Excellent communication (both oral and written) and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent knowledge of English.
Type of contract: Full time employee,
Location: Charleroi and Brussels
Timing: from June-September 2016 onwards, upon creation of the company.
Contact: Please submit a 1) cover letter detailing your background and interest in the position, 2) a full C.V. and 3) at least two references (with name, email, address, phone number) to firstname.lastname@example.org.