Position: SOFTWARE DEVELOPER Site: PRINCESS MARGARET CANCER CENTRE Department: RESEARCH Reports to: BENJAMIN HAIBE-KAINS Status: FULL-TIME PERMANENT Hours: 35hrs/week; 9:00am to 5:00pm; Monday to Friday
The Princess Margaret Cancer Centre is one of the top 5 Cancer Centres in Canada. The Princess Margaret Cancer Centre runs multiple initiatives related to Personalized Cancer Medicine to provide the right treatment for the right patient at the right time. These initiatives include the Cancer Genomics Program cancergenomicsprogram.ca) and the Patient-Derived Model Core, both generating large amount of molecular and pharmacological data. The Haibe-Kains laboratory aims to leverage these data to develop robust predictors of drug response, which can be translated into clinical settings to improve cancer management and ultimately benefit the patients. To accomplish this ambitious aims, the Haibe-Kains laboratory develops database integrating compendiums of pharmacogenomic datasets and web-application to help explore and analyze these valuable data. Due to rapid expansion, there is a need for a talented Software Developer who will be responsible for:
- Developing web-based computational approaches to large-scale interpretation of genomic variants and novel visualization approaches to depict these data in support of clinical reporting Build/maintain a catalog/inventory of the pharmacogenomic datasets to enable high-level browsing by clinicians and researchers. This may include setup and hosting of a local server for operation to warehouse such data
- Develop programmatic approaches to link genomic and pharmacological data generated in the Haibe-Kains lab, in the
- Patient-Derived Model Core and the Cancer Genomics Program, as part of the above activities
- Potential for integration of imaging data as the Haibe-Kains gets involved in the field Radiomics
- Writing and contributing to research articles, and communicating results to the research community
- Facilitate other projects in the Haibe-Kains lab that require expertise in software development
- At minimum, a completion of a Master's degree program, or recognized equivalent in biomedical research, preferably with focus in computer sciences
- Proven development experience with relational databases (e.g., MySQL) and familiarity with the fundamental principles of data modelling and management.
- High proficiency in multiple computer systems for database development, coding, statistics, visual design, etc.
- Skills in R and R package development.
- Practical experience of Agile and test-driven approaches to development.
- Experience with version control tools (e.g. git), and issue tracking tools (e.g. JIRA).
- Experience in some or all of the following fields: clinical genomics, knowledge-based systems, web and information science, and oncology
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, excellent organization, prioritization skills, computer skills, ability to learn quickly and work independently
- Ability to work under pressure and with attention to detail
HOW TO APPLY Apply via the UHN Recruiting Website, Job Posting #793967 https://www.recruitingsite.com/csbsites/uhncareers/JobDescription.asp?SiteID=10031&JobNumber=793967
THE HAIBE-KAINS LAB Our research focuses on the development of novel computational approaches to best characterize carcinogenesis, drugs’ mechanisms of action and their therapeutic potential, from high-throughput genomic data. We have strong expertise in machine learning applied to biomedical problems, including the development of robust prognostic and predictive biomarkers in cancer. Our large network of national and international collaborators, including clinicians, molecular biologists, engineers, statisticians and bioinformaticians, uniquely positions us to perform cutting-edge translational research to bring discoveries from bench to bedside. See our lab website for further information: http://www.pmgenomics.ca/bhklab/ Lab director: Dr. Benjamin Haibe-Kains, has over 10 years of experience in computational analysis of genomic data, including genomic and transcriptomic data. He is the (co-)author of more than 95 peer-reviewed articles in top bioinformatics and clinical journals. For an exhaustive list of publications, go to Dr. Haibe-Kains’ Google Scholar Profile.
Posted Date: November 24, 2016 Closing Date: December 8, 2016 For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN's attendance management program, and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply. University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.