Update Well, it seems like many people get confused in this question. Let me rephrase it a bit.
Suppose you are willing to train yourself to be a top bioinformatician in NGS. And assume that you could get any offer around the world using sort of super-natural power. What are the 5 principal investigators you would like to work with in your mind? Although I believe this question means the same as the original question, your personal top 5. End
This is my favorite question to begin a chat with junior researchers in a conference. Note that:
(1) This is really a personal opinion. I am not seeking for a putative rank. It is something like soccer players are often asked the best squad in their opinion in interviews.
(2) I restrict the scope within the Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) or other high throughput techniques research after the year of 2000, neither general bioinformatics nor those before 21st century.
(3) Feel free to share your top 10 if you had the list before seeing my question, or top 3 if you don't have a top 5, whatever.
(4) You are encouraged to share your colleagues' opinions.
(5) I will come back to collect the answers at the end of 2017.
I do the first: