From: March 28th, 2017
To: June 2nd, 2017
Location: Mascoma LLC, 67 Etna Road, Suite 200, 03766, NH, Lebanon, USA
Business Group / Department: Corporate R&D / Mascoma LLC / Research & Development
Starting date: As soon as possible
Status: One year contract with possible extension
Work schedule: From Monday to Friday / 40 hours a week
Salary offered: Depending on the experience.
Lallemand Inc. is a privately held Canadian company, founded at the end of the 19th century, specializing in the development, production and marketing of yeasts and bacteria. The company is comprised of 12 major business units, each focused on specific applications of yeast and bacteria, with operations and management throughout the world. Corporate offices for the parent company Lallemand Inc. are based in Montreal, Canada. Today, Lallemand employs more than 3300 people working across more than 45 countries, on 5 continents.
Mascoma LLC, part of the Corporate R&D business group, is a leader in advanced bioconversion products. They are leading the way in developing products and applications that enable the efficient and sustainable production of fuels and chemicals from biomass sources. They develop and deliver innovative technologies for manufacturing companies that are focused on the conversion of abundant biomass to replace petroleum-based products.
You will work within a growing team to provide bioinformatics support and expertise for R&D and production activities across Mascoma and its parent company Lallemand Inc. The key activities for this position include: expanding in-house bioinformatics capabilities and infrastructure, performing exploratory and routine bioinformatics analyses, identifying new opportunities where bioinformatics can bring value, and reporting and discussing findings with colleagues across disciplines.
Topics of particular interest are: explaining phenotypic differences between strains through comparative genomics and transcriptomics; de novo genome assembly and annotation; genomics-based species and strain identification; determining species and strain abundances using metagenomics techniques; and facilitating the exploration of omics data by fellow researchers. Tasks associated with this position also include to:
- Deliver high quality and timely bioinformatics analyses to help solve complex problems as part of multi-disciplinary teams including molecular biologists, bioprocess scientists, process engineers, application specialists, etc.;
- Develop and validate new bioinformatics workflows in response to the needs of the R&D organization;
- Automate routine bioinformatics analysis and reporting workflows;
- Train colleagues in accessing and interpreting bioinformatics results;
- Improve company-wide access and use of omics data;
- Document bioinformatics procedures, and contribute to patent applications and/or peer-reviewed journal articles relevant to our products;
- Supervise and facilitate outsourcing of any third-party omics services.
- Ph.D. degree, or master's degree with additional relevant experience, in bioinformatics or related scientific field;
- Experience with data from fungi and/or bacteria (ideally yeast);
- Experience in creating new bioinformatics workflows and analyzing data in one or more common bioinformatics environments, such as shell scripting, Python, R, etc.;
- Ability to generate high quality and well-documented results in a timely manner while being able to prioritize new requests;
- Good troubleshooting and multi-tasking skills to deal with parallel projects and solve technical problems.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced industrial R&D setting.
- Experience in analyzing metagenomics and microbial genomics and transcriptomics data;
- Experience in metabolic pathway engineering;
- Experience with cloud computing (e.g. Amazon AWS) and version control, and active in the open source community;
- Varied educational or industry experiences, enabling the development of new approaches to difficult problems;
- Authored publications demonstrating expertise in one or more of the following: comparative genomics, genome assembly, genome annotation, metagenomics data analysis, transcriptomics, metabolic engineering.
- Skilled in statistical analysis;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Legally authorized to work in the United States.
This offer is for you? Apply now to Rintze Zelle, Research Scientist at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your interest in our organization, please note that for reasons of treatment volume, only retained candidates will be contacted.