Senior Software Developer and HPC Integration Specialist
Canadian Centre for Computational Genomics - McGill
Under the direction of the Bioinformatics Manager, the software developer and HPC integration specialist will participate in the planning, development, co-ordination, implementation and maintenance of information systems and genomic analytical pipelines developed at the McGill’s Canadian Center for Computational Genomics (C3G). This includes the integration of information systems strategy, policy and planning with all members of the projects, and the development and implementation of information system strategies that support the analytical needs of various projects. The chosen candidate will also work closely with members of McGill’s High Performance Computing (HPC) centre and other Calcul Québec staff members for the efficient integration of tools developed by the C3G with the Compute Canada infrastructure and other cloud-computing systems. The chosen candidate responsibilities will also include troubleshooting and supporting a variety of users using these tools.
- Contribute to the design and implementation of software pipelines for the processing of next generation sequencing data. Help maintain and document the pipelines code base and related procedures.
- Participate in the continuous development of a virtual file system. This involves installing software, genomic databases and also monitoring and optimizing performance of the said system.
- Contribute to project planning and establish project milestones.
- Participate actively in discussions with other developers and users of the centre.
- Ensure that pipelines run efficiently on C3G clusters as well as on Compute Canada HPC resources, and that all incoming data and analysis output is properly stored and maintained with appropriate user access.
- Port current pipelines to cloud-computing infrastructures
- Keep abreast of new developments in the field of parallel processing on HPC infrastructures, with the goal of increasing efficiency and accuracy of analytical pipelines.
- Act as a primary contact person in supporting users seeking advice on how to access and execute the developed analysis pipelines on the HPC infrastructures. When appropriate, inform supervisors and formulate recommendations.
- Provide IT support to users.
- Troubleshoot system problems as necessary to ensure operational integrity.
- Provide training and technical support services for all aspects related to the operation of the systems.
- Develop training materials and documentation for the systems and analytical pipelines.
Education/Experience and other Qualifying Skills and/or Abilities:
- M.Sc in Computer Science, Informatics or related field (Ph.D. is an asset).
- 3 years of related experience. Experience with Python, git, and bash is a requirement.
- Additional programming experience (Perl and Java) is an asset.
- Experience in using HPC environment.
- Experience with cloud computing and distributed applications is a must.
- Experience with Docker, Singularity or other containers is an asset.
- Very good communication skills in English, spoken and written. French is an asset.
How to Apply:
Please submit your application online at http://www.mcgill.ca/medhr/positions-available/apply-now. Click on “APPLY NOW” and clearly indicate the reference number (MT0293).
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
McGill University is committed to equity in employment and diversity. It welcomes applications from indigenous peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities, women, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others who may contribute to further diversification.
Faculty/Unit: Faculty of Medicine Department of Human Genetics