Canadian Centre for Computational Genomics - McGill
Under the direction of the Bioinformatics Manager, the Bioinformatics Specialist will perform advanced analyses at McGill’s Canadian Center for Computational Genomics (C3G). The chosen candidate will contribute to the development of analysis pipelines associated with Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS) instruments. The specialist will be a member of the technical development group and perform advanced statistical analyses that facilitate genomics data interpretation. The specialist will work closely both with other members of the C3G team and scientists at the McGill University and Génome Québec Innovation center. The chosen candidate will be exposed to a wide variety of novel sequencing technologies, bioinformatics approaches, and state of the art computing resources in facility dedicated to high-throughput sequencing and large-scale genomic studies.
- Actively contribute to the Technical Development group efforts to create Standard Operation Procedures and perform on-demand analyses.
- Mentor and guide Bioinformatics Consultants in the unit. Monitor their progress and insure quality of results delivered.
- Use and develop analysis pipelines using in-house and third party tools or algorithms, and incorporate them into specialized analysis workflows.
- Develop bioinformatics solutions for the analysis of complex genomic datasets.
- Update and extend bioinformatics tools and software methods used or developed at the C3G.
- Provide detailed reports with analysis results and descriptions of methods used.
- Contribute to problem-solving discussions.
- Provide regular internal reports regarding the progress of projects (oral presentations).
- Keep online documentation up-to-date, explaining the services offered and the analysis methods used.
- Stay informed of the most relevant bioinformatics practices in genomics.
- Lecture in bioinformatics training workshops organized by the center.
- Manage several analysis projects at the same time.
Education/Experience and Other Qualifying Skills and/or Abilities:
- MSc in Bioinformatics, Statistics, Computer Science or related field (PhD is preferred).
- Three (3) years of experience in bioinformatics or genomics research.
- Excellent understanding of statistics is a must.
- Experience with Python is a requirement.
- Experience with data analysis in the research context is a plus.
- Good knowledge of R, git, and bash is needed.
- Additional programming experience (perl and java) is an asset.
- Experience in using HPC environment.
- Experience with Docker or VM environment for analysis is an asset.
- Experience lecturing in training workshops is desirable.
- Very good communication skills in English, spoken and written. French is an asset.
How to Apply:
Please submit your application online at http://www.mcgill.ca/medhr/positions-available/apply-now. Click on “APPLY NOW” and clearly indicate the reference number MT0294.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
McGill University is committed to equity in employment and diversity. It welcomes applications from indigenous peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities, women, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others who may contribute to further diversification.
Faculty/Unit: Faculty of Medicine Department of Human Genetics