We are looking for a Bioinformatician with strong programming skills to join our team in the Center for Data Intensive Science at the University of Chicago.
Our work is at the forefront of both cutting edge research and petabyte-scale production systems supporting cancer research, most notably the Genomic Data Commons. https://gdc.cancer.gov You will join an expert data engineering team dedicated to building out data commons platforms that enable data sharing in the scientific research community. We offer numerous petabytes of centralized and harmonized cancer genomic data to a range of users from small research projects to large analytics applications.
- Design and implement bioinformatics services for the NCI Genomic Data Commons and other related projects
- Develop and implement software methodologies and computational tools
- Devise or modify procedures to solve complex problems and work at a high technical level in all phases of bioinformatics support activities
- Develop, execute, test and roll out project-specific solutions
- Shepherd projects to ensure they are managed in a timely and efficient manner and are appropriately documented
- Engage with the bioinformatics community at large on pipeline development and community standards
- Keep abreast of industry trends and new technologies, and recommending potential solutions based on the latest technical developments
- Doctoral degree in Bioinformatics, the Biological Sciences, Computer Science, or a related field required.
- Minimum of two years of experience in the field of bioinformatics required.
- Experience in the bioinformatics of Next Generation sequencing technologies required.
- Experience programming in Python required.
- Experience with Linux and/or Unix required.
- Experience in employing high performance computing to solve parallelizable compute problems preferred.
- Experience providing bioinformatics services or other service roles preferred.
- Experience in project management preferred.
- Experience teaching bioinformatics to non-bioinformaticians preferred.
About the Center for Data Intensive Science The Center for Data Intensive Science at the University of Chicago is a research center pioneering translational data science to advance biology, medicine, and environmental research. Our work centers around developing instruments to integrate commons of complex data with cloud computing technology. We architect large scale commons of research data, computing resources, applications, tools, services. Through this approach, we can more effectively use data at scale to study and pursue scientific inquiry in the areas of biology, medicine, healthcare, and the environment. https://cdis.uchicago.edu
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity / Disabled / Veterans Employer.