The Office of Biotechnology is seeking candidates for the position of Associate Scientist – Senior Bioinformatician. The Office of Biotechnology facilitates and advances programs in research, education, and outreach that contribute to the goals of Iowa State University’s Strategic Plan in the area of Biotechnology.
The primary responsibilities include:
- Aiding in the activities of the Genome Informatics Facility (GIF) that facilitates the translation of big data into informative data toward the understanding of biological questions.
- Analyzing data and building of cyberinfrastructure: pipelines, scripts and tutorials.
- Ensuring that the collaborative research effort is successful, both for funding and for publication.
- Developing algorithms, pipelines and software that facilitate analysis of high-throughput DNA sequence analysis
- Publishing results in scientific journals and presenting them at national meetings and conferences.
The successful candidate will possess strong organizational skills; attention to detail; the ability to rapidly absorb information regarding emerging sequencing technologies, open software programs and a diverse range of biological systems; the ability to analyze very large data sets using high performance computing infrastructures; and the ability to integrate all this knowledge and apply it efficiently to collaborative research projects.
Required Education and Experience: Master’s degree and 5 years of related experience; OR a Ph.D. or other professional degree and 2 years of related experience.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- PhD in bioinformatics, statistics, computer science or a related field
- Experience collaborating with faculty, staff and students on bioinformatics projects
- Experience using bioinformatics software and databases.
- Experience with statistics.
- Experience with Bash, computer programming, algorithm optimization and parallel computing.
- Experience with writing and submitting grant proposals and personnel management.
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Instructions To apply for this position, please click on “Apply for this Job” and complete the Employment Application. Please be prepared to enter or attach the following:
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Application/Cover Letter
- Contact Information for Three References
- Statement of Career Goals
Original job posting can be found here. If you have questions please leave a comment below or email: email@example.com