Job Location: UCSC Santa Cruz, CA 95064 http://genome.ucsc.edu
Job Description: The incumbent will be responsible for supporting and extending major subsystems of the UCSC Genome Browser database and software, serving in a technical leadership role on one or more engineering projects, and interfacing with collaborators and users worldwide. Mastery of the UCSC Genome Browser software, database, configuration files, and their interrelationships; fully understands the complex interrelationships between the Genome Browser software and various operating systems and hardware platforms; and has a specialized deep understanding of one or more of the major subsystems on which s/he is the lead. Provides input to architectural and technical direction and leads implementation efforts for software systems in this complex computing environment.
Uses skills as an advanced, specialized bioinformatics programming professional with an in-depth understanding of computational algorithms to identify and resolve a wide range of highly complex issues / software bugs where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors.
- Bachelor's degree in biological science, computational / programming, or related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Working knowledge of bioinformatics methods and data structures.
- Working knowledge of applications programming and web development.
- Experience programming in C and a scripting language in a UNIX or Linux environment.
- Working knowledge of databases.
- Working project management skills.
- Working knowledge, background, or experience with modern molecular biology and applicable field of research.
- Interpersonal skills in order to work with both technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization.
- Ability to communicate technical information in a clear and concise manner.
- Self motivated, able to learn quickly, meet deadlines and demonstrate problem solving skills.
How to Apply:
- Genome Browser Software Engineer (Bioinformatics Programmer 2): job #1707600, https://jobs.ucsc.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=70384
- Genome Browser Senior Software Engineer (Bioinformatics Programmer 4): job #1707623, https://jobs.ucsc.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=70383
- This position will be filled at either the Bioinformatics Programmer 2 (Job#1707600) or Bioinformatics Programmer 4 (Job#1707623) level.
The UCSC Genome Browser is host to the human genome and is used by researchers, scientists, and clinicians around the world. Since its initial release in July 2000, the Genome Browser has grown to include a broad collection of vertebrate and model organism assemblies and annotations, along with a large suite of tools for viewing, analyzing and downloading data.