Boehringer Ingelheim is an equal opportunity global employer who takes pride in maintaining a diverse and inclusive culture. We embrace diversity of perspectives and strive for an inclusive environment which benefits our employees, patients and communities.
Head of Genomics Lab - Computational Biology & Genomics Expert-181189
As the head of the Genomics Lab within research department Target Discovery Research located in Biberach, you work within Expert Function of the Computational Biology and Genomics Group.
Tasks & responsibilities
- In your new role you structure the lab procedures, organize and plan the sequencing projects and with your team of lab technicians you define and ensure best-practice procedures for the NGS lab.
- In close collaboration with the computational biologists, you actively contribute to the design of the overall workflows related to genomics from project setup to downstream data analysis, and you are accountable for the lab related parts and the interfaces up- and downstream.
- You ensure timely delivery of project critical results by planning and prioritization of internal capacity and outsourcing of suitable projects.
- Furthermore, you drive the development and extension of the LIMS and related IT systems as well as optimize workflows by lab automation and robotics.
- Moreover, you contribute to drug discovery projects by consulting on experimental design and developing customized genomics approaches.
- In addition, you oversee and contribute to the establishment of new technologies, assays and protocols (e.g. single cell RNA-Seq).
- PhD degree or equivalent qualification in Biology with a focus on Genomics or related fields; several years of experience after PhD
- Hands-on experience in a genomics lab and theoretical knowledge of genomics approaches; experienced in current sequencing platforms
- A good overview of pros and cons of alternative assays (e.g. Nanostring, microarrays) and upcoming sequencing technologies
- Strong background specifically in the RNA-Seq field, experience with challenging input material and single cell RNA-Seq approaches
- Experience with additional assays (e.g. epigenetics related, TcR-Seq, metagenomics) is favorable
- Track record in development and establishment of customized approaches
- Expert in experimental design (both NGS specific as general)
- An affinity for IT (LIMS) and lab automation (robotics), first-hand experience in bioinformatics (typical NGS tools, basic QC, differential expression)
- Be well connected in the field, with interactions with CROs and sequencing centers
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Previous experience as a team leader as well as strong interpersonal skills
Innovative medicines for people and animals have for more than 130 years been what the research-driven pharmaceutical company Boehringer Ingelheim stands for. Boehringer Ingelheim is one of the pharmaceutical industry’s top 20 companies and to this day remains family-owned. Day by day, some 50,000 employees create value through innovation for the three business areas human pharmaceuticals, animal health and biopharmaceutical contract manufacturing. In 2016, Boehringer Ingelheim achieved net sales of around 15.9 billion euros. With more than three billion euros, R&D expenditure corresponds to 19.6 per cent of net sales.
Boehringer Ingelheim is an equal opportunity employer who takes pride in maintaining a diverse and inclusive workplace. We embrace all aspects of diversity and inclusion which benefit our employees, patients and communities. We look forward to receiving your online application!
For further information please contact Recruiting Services: Ms. Yue Pan, Tel: +49 (0) 7351 54 188546