Question: plasmid assemby from Illumina reads - help!
0
gravatar for rebeccarenberg
10 months ago by
United States
rebeccarenberg20 wrote:

I have some plasmids (purified) that were 1x150 sequenced on Illumnia. I am trying to assemble them, but am not having success using SPAdes or tadpole.sh from BBTools (both have been suggested by others to assemble viral genomes which are comparable in size). I have plenty of coverage with the number of reads generated (1000+X coverage). SPAdes produces 1000 contigs with the longest one being 1,482 bases. tadpole.sh produced 19 contigs with the longest being 912 bases.

I feel like I am missing some parameters somewhere to get a better assembly.

Here is the SPAdes command:

spades.py --careful -s XXXX.fastq.gz -t 24 -m 31 -o SPAdes_assembly_XXXX

Here is the tadpole.sh command:

tadpole.sh in=XXXX.fastq.gz out=contigs_XXXX.fa k=93

Any suggestions on what parameters I should change to get a better assembly (i.e the full length plasmid in a single contig)?

Is there a special tool out there to do plasmid assemblies (I tried plasmidSPAdes.py too with no luck).

Any other information that would be helpful?

Thanks!

assembly • 365 views
ADD COMMENTlink modified 5 months ago • written 10 months ago by rebeccarenberg20
4
gravatar for genomax
10 months ago by
genomax65k
United States
genomax65k wrote:

1x150

Is that accurate? Or was it a paired-end run and was actually 2x150?

You may want to normalize read coverage (if you have a lot of it, which is known to cause problems with assembly). Take a look at tadpole.sh guide here and bbnorm.sh guide here.

ADD COMMENTlink modified 10 months ago • written 10 months ago by genomax65k

Yes, the 1x150 sequencing is accurate. Thank you for the suggestions.

I normalized using

bbnorm.sh in=XXXX.fastq.gz out=XXXX_normalized.fq target=100 min=5

then I ran the assembly again using

tadpole.sh in=XXXX_normalized.fq out=contigs_XXXX_normalized.fq k=93

This assembly was 19 contigs, with the longest being 1002 bases. Still not what I am hoping for. Any other suggestions?

ADD REPLYlink written 10 months ago by rebeccarenberg20

target=100 was too high. I dropped it down to 20/30/50 and I got a beautiful assembly. THANK YOU!!! I would have never figured out how to do the normalization or that I needed to.

ADD REPLYlink written 10 months ago by rebeccarenberg20

Excellent. I moved my comment to an answer. Feel free to accept it to provide closure for this thread.

ADD REPLYlink modified 10 months ago • written 10 months ago by genomax65k
2
gravatar for rebeccarenberg
5 months ago by
United States
rebeccarenberg20 wrote:

Recently I discovered Unicycler (https://github.com/rrwick/Unicycler ), which worked really well to assemble these plasmids and I didn't have to normalize the reads first (win - one less step).

ADD COMMENTlink modified 5 months ago by WouterDeCoster38k • written 5 months ago by rebeccarenberg20
Please log in to add an answer.

Help
Access

Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy.
Powered by Biostar version 2.3.0
Traffic: 848 users visited in the last hour