Open position: Data Wrangler
Department overview: Comprising diverse researchers from a variety of disciplines across academic divisions, the UC Santa Cruz Genomics Institute leads UC Santa Cruz’s efforts to unlock the world’s genomic data and accelerate breakthroughs in health and evolutionary biology. Our platforms, technologies, and scientists unite global communities to create and deploy data-driven, life-saving treatments and innovative environmental and conservation efforts.
Job summary: Collaborates with external research laboratories to import biomedical data into the databases and web pages maintained by UCSC team for display, access, and analysis. Works closely with biomedical lab personnel to reformat data from lab spreadsheets and databases into formats used for loading databases, accurately capture and document experimental results and methods, educate biomedical labs on metadata standards, assist labs in data and metadata submission, and track the flow of data within the UCSC pipeline. Works with internal software developers and database testing staff to ensure data integrity and make the data accessible to the scientific community through web-based access to public and proprietary databases.
- Basic experience either in a biomedical lab or with use of genomic sequencing machinery.
- Basic knowledge of modern biology and an applicable field of research.
- Experience using bioinformatics methods and data structures.
- Basic knowledge of and experience with databases.
- Demonstrated experience in working with large data sets and spreadsheets.
- Basic project management skills.
- Interpersonal skills sufficient to work effectively and diplomatically with both internal and external technical and non-technical personnel at various levels.
- Ability to communicate technical information and scientific concepts in a clear and concise manner in English.
- Ability to self-motivate, learn quickly, meet deadlines and solve problems.
- Bachelor's degree in biological science, computational/programming, or related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
45% Utilize software tools to import moderately complex biomedical data from external labs into UCSC DCM databases and web pages, check it for consistency, and help analyze and interpret it. Utilize existing algorithms, techniques, and statistical methodologies to conduct data analysis. Work closely with lab personnel to reformat data from biomedical lab spreadsheets and databases into formats used for loading databases. Assist with the implementation of changes to operational systems and databases.
25% Create and maintain web pages associated with data sets. Accurately capture and document experimental results and methods at an appropriate technical level. Read relevant scientific papers, and incorporate information into data descriptions and data verification.
20% Serve as UCSC contact for one or more external biomedical labs. Establish data agreements and data delivery schedules, educate labs on metadata standards, and assist labs in data and metadata submission.
10% Develop scripts that help analyze metadata to ensure its consistency and accuracy.
Salary: $26.35-$33.53; salary commensurate with qualifications and experience
Benefits: This position is eligible for full UC benefits