Junior Software Engineer, Computational Genomics Lab/ Platform
About our organization: The Genomics Institute creates advanced technologies and open-source genomics platforms to unravel evolutionary patterns, molecular processes and the underpinnings of disease. Our platforms, technologies and scientists unite global communities to create and deploy data-driven, life-saving treatments and innovative environmental, conservation efforts. The Genomics Institute is openly and responsibly sharing what is learned and created with the entire genomics community. It is a public university institution dedicated to creating a healthier world.
The Computational Genomics Platform (CGP) team uses big data technologies to facilitate genomic research for global health issues such as breast cancer and other genetic risk factors. The team collaborates with many universities and institutes around the world. Examples of projects include supporting a global team to create the Human Cell Atlas, a compendium that maps gene activity in each cell in the human body, and the National Health Institute Data Commons project, which is about developing the technology to share and combine controlled access to genomic data across different institutes.
Job description: The Jr. Software Engineer develops software for the Computational Genomics Platform (https://cgl.genomics.ucsc.edu/team/) to support a wide variety of grant deliverables. They use professional bioinformatics concepts and apply computational procedures to resolve a variety of analysis and research issues. The incumbent works on assignments of moderate scope, where analysis of data requires a review of a variety of factors. They learn new technologies as necessary and collaborate with colleagues to solve problems. The Jr. Software Engineer uses Agile software development methods to produce reliable and reusable code that will be used in leading genomics science. Assists in additional analyses as needed to achieve research objectives.
If you are excited to work in a fast-paced, start-up like environment within an institution of higher education in beautiful Santa Cruz, California, we encourage you to apply!
- Bachelor's degree in biological science, computational / programming, or related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Experience with and demonstrated knowledge of applications programming, web development, and data structures.
- Demonstrated understanding of database technologies.
- Interpersonal skills in order to work with both technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization, including senior project leadership.
- Ability to communicate technical information in a clear and concise manner.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills.
- Programming skills in Python or similar languages.
- Working knowledge of cloud computing or distributed computing environments.
- Working knowledge of development in and operation of Unix/Linux based servers.
- Experience with and demonstrated knowledge of bioinformatics methods.
- Demonstrated knowledge of bioinformatics programming design, modification, and implementation.
- Experience in applying web application and data security concepts and methods.
Benefits: This position is eligible for full UC benefits
Salary: Starting Salary Range: $31.13-$38.31/hourly; Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Follow the link TO APPLY!