Job title: DevOps Engineer
Comprising diverse researchers from a variety of disciplines across academic divisions, the UC Santa Cruz Genomics Institute leads UC Santa Cruz's efforts to unlock the world's genomic data and accelerate breakthroughs in health and evolutionary biology. Our platforms, technologies, and scientists unite global communities to create and deploy data-driven, life-saving treatments and innovative environmental and conservation efforts while addressing the most fundamental societal and policy questions.
The Computational Genomics Platform (CGP) team uses big data technologies to facilitate genomic research for global health issues such as breast cancer and other genetic risk factors. The team collaborates with many universities and institutes around the world. Examples of projects include supporting a global team to create the Human Cell Atlas, a compendium that maps gene activity in each cell in the human body, and the National Health Institute Data Commons project, which is about developing the technology to share and combine controlled access to genomic data across different institutes.
This position applies advanced systems infrastructure concepts and institutional objectives to resolve highly complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors. Selects methods, techniques and evaluation criteria to obtain results. Takes ownership of optimization of administrative task automation. Gives presentations to associated team and other technical units. Evaluates new technologies including performing moderate to complex cost/benefit analyses. May lead a team of systems/infrastructure professionals.
If you are excited to work in a fast-paced, startup-like environment within an institution of higher education in beautiful Santa Cruz, California, we encourage you to apply.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Demonstrated ability to elicit and communicate technical and non-technical information in a clear and concise manner.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills and ability to learn.
- Demonstrated ability to write technical documentation in a clear and concise manner.
- Demonstrated understanding of system performance monitoring and actions that can be taken to improve or correct performance.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the design, development, and application of technology and systems to meet business needs.
- General knowledge of a variety of areas of IT.
- Experience managing applications deployed on AWS and GCP.
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with system problem identification and resolution. Experience with design, configuration, operation, repair, and tuning of technology systems.
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge of computer security best practices and policies, including securing complex server-based software.
- Advanced experience writing and editing the most complex scripts used to perform system maintenance and administration, specifically scripts written for Python and Bash.
- Experience triaging tickets on issue tracking systems such as JIRA, GitLab and GitHub, or comparable system.
- Experience leading a team of IT professionals.
- Demonstrated skills working with AWS and GCP, specifically S3, SQS, SNS, Lambda, DynamoDB, Google PubSub, Google Storage and Google Cloud Functions.
- Demonstrated skills associated with adapting equipment and technology to serve user needs. Demonstrated comprehensive understanding of how system management actions affect other systems, system users and dependent/related functions.
- Ability to diagnose performance and scalability issues on a live system, with hundreds of concurrent users.
- Experience administering 3rd party web applications used in managing engineering workflows such as JIRA, GitHub, Travis, GitLab and Slack.
Salary: Starting Salary Range: $7,084-$8,750/monthly. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Benefits: This position is eligible for full UC benefits