Question: high q value of RNA-seq(By Hisat2-Stringtie-Ballgown)
gravatar for 245712608
14 months ago by
2457126080 wrote:

Hello! I am a novice in RNA-seq analysis. Recently, I followed the protocol "Transcript-level expression analysis of RNA-seq experiments with HISAT, StringTie and Ballgown" to perform RNA-seq analysis, but got gene lists with their q values higher than 0.1. I was confused, cuz my mentor already did that once and got gene lists with acceptable q values. Then I went to check the sam file produced by Hisat2, and found that the mapQ values are too uniform (0,1,60 only). So I was wondering if I got something wrong with my Hisat2 analysis part.

The following is my bash code for this analysis. Hope you could provide me some valuable advices! Very appreciate that!

  1. export PATH=$HOME/bin:$PATH

  2. hisat2 -p 4 --dta -x mm10/genome -U WTBMCold0h1_1.fq.gz -S WTBMCold0h1_1.sam

  3. samtools view -h -q 15 WTBMCold0h1_1.sam -o 1WTBMCold0h1_1.sam

    After deleting the WTBMCold0h1_1.sam file I change the name of 1WTBMCold0h1_1.sam into WTBMCold0h1_1.sam*

  4. samtools sort -@ 4 -o WTBMCold0h1_1.bam WTBMCold0h1_1.sam

  5. sh

    for i in {0h1,0h4,4h4,5d1,5d4,12h1,12h4};do
        stringtie -p 4 -G genes.gtf -o WTBMCold${i}_1.gtf -l WTBMCold${i}_1 WTBMCold${i}_1.bam
        rm WTBMCold${i}_1.bam
  6. stringtie --merge -p 8 -G genes.gtf -o stringtie_merged.gtf mergelist.txt

  7. sh

    for i in {0h1,0h4,4h1,4h4,5d1,5d4,12h1,12h4};do
        stringtie -e -B -p 4 -G stringtie_merged.gtf -o ballgown/WTBMCold${i}_1/WTBMCold${i}_1.gtf WTBMCold${i}_1.bam
  8. R analysis:

    pheno_data_file <- "pheno_list.txt"
    pheno_data <- read.table(pheno_data_file, header=TRUE, colClasses = rep("character", 2))
    pheno_data = pheno_data[order(pheno_data$ids),]
    bg <- ballgown(dataDir = "ballgown", samplePattern="WTBMCold", pData=pheno_data)
    bg_filt = subset(bg,"rowVars(texpr(bg)) >1",genomesubset=TRUE)
    results_transcripts = stattest(bg_filt, feature="transcript",covariate="timepoint", getFC=TRUE, meas="FPKM")
    results_genes = stattest(bg_filt, feature="gene", covariate="timepoint",  getFC=TRUE, meas="FPKM")
    results_transcripts = data.frame(geneNames=ballgown::geneNames(bg_filt), geneIDs=ballgown::geneIDs(bg_filt), results_transcripts)
    results_transcripts = arrange(results_transcripts,qval)
    results_genes = arrange(results_genes,qval)
    write.csv(results_transcripts, "transcript_results.csv", row.names=FALSE)
    write.csv(results_genes, "gene_results.csv", row.names=FALSE)
rna-seq • 655 views
ADD COMMENTlink modified 14 months ago by i.sudbery7.7k • written 14 months ago by 2457126080

How many replicates do you have? I think ballgown is recommended for more than 5 replicates, why not try deseq2?

ADD REPLYlink written 14 months ago by Buffo1.8k

Ok I will give it a try. Thanks buffo.

ADD REPLYlink written 14 months ago by 2457126080

I have edited your post to make it more readable. Numbered lists are created by using a number, then a period, then a space. You were missing the space. Short sections of code can be formatted with back-ticks, and longer sections by starting lines with four spaces (or 8 in a numbered list) or using the code format button (the one labelled 101010).

ADD REPLYlink written 14 months ago by i.sudbery7.7k

I wouldn't worry about the mapQ numbers, I each aligner sets these differently and I think that HiSat only ever uses those three values.

ADD REPLYlink written 14 months ago by i.sudbery7.7k

Thanks a lot. I have removed the —dta parameters and try it once.Hope I can get desirable results.

ADD REPLYlink written 14 months ago by 2457126080
Please log in to add an answer.


Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy.
Powered by Biostar version 2.3.0
Traffic: 2157 users visited in the last hour