A full-time bioinformatician position is open in Dr. Shen’s group at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York City. Our research mainly focuses on bioinformatic analysis of transcriptomic and epigenomic data for brain diseases, such as drug addiction and depression. We mainly work with next-generation sequencing (NGS) data that are generated from our collaborators. We have analyzed more than 10,000 NGS samples in the past few years and published numerous papers in top-tier journals, such as Nature and Science.
You will use the procedures that we have already established to perform bioinformatic analysis on the sequencing data. You will develop pipelines to automate these procedures to meet the needs of our collaborators. You will also design custom analytic procedures to answer biological questions, meet with experimental biologists, and participate in every aspect of a sequencing project from experimental design to publication.
You will participate in a lot of interesting projects and be a co-author on many publications. You will learn how to analyze large-scale genomic data and become a master of it! You will also learn how to work in an interdisciplinary group and communicate your ideas clearly. If you are very quantitative in mind, like to deal with large volume of data and love challenges, this is a wonderful opportunity!
My group collaborates with multiple investigators in the department, such as Drs. Eric Nestler, Yasmin Hurd, Schahram Akbarian and Scott Russo, who are world-renowned neuroscientists. We also have collaborations with external investigators literally from all around the world. We are very well funded and are determined to do the best quality research.
In addition to above, you will also have the opportunity to participate in machine learning research, which has become a key development area of the lab and is becoming more and more important for our daily works. If you want to get into the exciting machine learning field and work with real-world data, this position is for you!
For more information, please visit these websites:
Department website: http://neuroscience.mssm.edu/shen/
Lab Github page: https://github.com/shenlab-sinai/
Li Shen’s Github page: https://github.com/lishen/
- Bachelor or master degree in computer science, computational biology, bioinformatics or related fields. Ph.D. is not required but will be considered as well.
- Excellent knowledge with statistics and data mining techniques.
- Machine learning experience and knowledge a strong plus.
- Strong programming skills with scripting languages such as Python.
- Strong skills with statistical computing platforms; R preferred.
- Good knowledge about molecular biology, genomics and sequencing technology.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- “Can do” attitude with some hacker’s spirits.
- Working knowledge with high-performance computing systems a plus.
- Working experience with Linux operating system a must.
- Excellent communication skills.
Interested person should send his/her CV along with at least two references to email@example.com