Calling all passionate Bay Area based Bioinformatics specialists!
About Convergent Genomics
Convergent Genomics is a genomic liquid biopsy company leveraging cutting-edge data analytics to transform cancer care. UriSeq, our proprietary urine sequencing platform, enables actionable insights that are otherwise unattainable in today's clinical cancer management. Our innovative solutions bring unprecedented clarity to clinical decision making by both outperforming current technology and introducing new paradigms to better detect, surveil, and treat cancer.
As a bioinformatics scientist working on a cross disciplinary team of clinicians, biologists and data scientists, your primary aim will be to drive the design and deployment of cutting edge NGS pipelines to translate genomic data into disease monitoring paradigms. You must be able to leverage your comprehensive understanding of the bioinformatics toolkit to interpret and communicate meaningful and relevant insights and findings from your analysis and experiments to clinicians, scientists, and business development teams. As a collaborative yet opinionated team player, you will contribute to the overall strategic vision of Convergent Genomics to transform cancer care by identifying clear and actionable insights.
- Develop algorithms for a wide range of genomic applications including: QA/QC, variant calling, metagenomics, and cancer genomics.
- Development, maintenance, and execution of NGS algorithms & pipelines.
- Aid in data generation and strategy for IP filings.
- Documentation and version control of approaches & workflows.
- Documentation and communication of project findings to a wide audience.
Essential Job Duties
- Drive the full lifecycle of genomic pipelines from algorithmic research and experimentation to the deployment of these solutions into a real-world production environment.
- Leverage your knowledge of the next generation sequencing analysis toolkit: workflow management (Snakemake), multipurpose NGS tools (Picard, Samtools, fgbio, IGV), databases (NCBI, GenBank), variant callers (VarDict, MuTect, HaploType Caller), annotators (SNPEff), metagenomics tools (KrakenUnique), quality assurance tools (MultiQC) to construct high quality datasets that identify sources of instrument noise, sequencing errors, biologic noise, and biologic signal.
- Proactively contribute to the on-going development of bioinformatics strategy and direction of the company.
- Partner effectively with Product, Engineering, Scientists, and Operations teams to solve problems and identify opportunities.
- Enhance data collection procedures to include uncaptured information that is relevant for building analytic systems.
- Perform ad hoc analysis and presenting results in a clear manner.
- Possess a passion to wear many hats and jump in and help other team members in a startup-like environment.
- PhD in degree (or BS/MS with 3+ years industry experience) in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Genomics, Molecular Biology, or related field, or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated expertise with Unix/Linux, Java, Python, and R.
- Familiarity with existing tools and best practices for NGS data analysis.
- Familiarity with workflow managers such as Snakemake.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to take ownership and accountability of assignments.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Ability to consistently deliver and attain research milestones.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to present creative alternatives to issues.
- Self-starter, goal directed, exercises sound judgment, disciplined.
- Positive, 'can do' attitude with a focus on the success of the team.
- Applies ingenuity and determination in finding the best/quickest options to support business needs.
- Balancing business goals with engineering goals.
- Takes ownership of outstanding issues, is accountable, and establishes a high level of credibility with others in the organization.
- Respects other people's opinions and suggestions and works to create an environment of trust.
- Comprehensive medical benefits including dental, vision, STD/LTD, Life Insurance.
- Pre-IPO Equity.
- Flexible spending account (FSA).
- Generous PTO and flexible work hours.
- Company provided lunches multiple times per week.
How to Apply