xD Bio Inc. is seeking to expand our current small team with a motivated and experienced full stack software engineer with expertise in Python 3 and experience in bioinformatics and workflow languages. The successful candidate will be responsible for development and improvement of methods for management of bioinformatics content described by industry standards within our knowledge base, executing tools and workflows on cloud infrastructure, and development of APIs to consume bioinformatics related content. Responsibilities may shift as needs change. Although the candidate will officially report to the company president, xD Bio has a flat organizational structure where all team members are in the trenches together.
Position: Software Engineer
Location: Whitefish, Montana
- $85,000-$110,000 salary based on experience
- Full health insurance premiums paid for employee and family. PSN Silver HSA 3600
- 15 days PTO (plus days between Christmas and New Years)
- This position is eligible for the company’s equity incentive plan.
- Flexible work schedule upon approval.
- Opportunity to attend at least two conferences/meetings/workshops per year.
- Resources for continued learning.
- Opportunity to propose and implement own ideas.
- Input on further hiring and other management decisions.
- Possible supervisory/mentorship role as company grows.
Start date: Negotiable. Position available immediately.
Required Skills and/or Experience:
- Passion for learning, invention, and SCIENCE.
- Strong problem solving and self learning ability.
- Willingness to learn from and teach other team members.
- Self-motivation and discipline to be effective in an agile-based flexible work environment.
- The ability to effectively communicate in a helpful, positive way with a small team.
- At least 3 years experience with workflow languages such as CWL and WDL and associated workflow management tools.
- At least 3 years of experience writing code as a strong individual contributor.
- Experience with cloud computing platforms including GCP and/or AWS.
- Experience with full stack web application programming and debugging.
- Expertise with Python. You should know what you love most about Python 3!
- Experience with test-driven development.
- Experience with software containerization including Docker.
- Solid understanding of database schema design and normalization techniques.
Desired Skills and/or Experience:
- UX design.
- Experience with Python-based web frameworks like Flask and Django.
- Competency with other workflow languages: Snakemake, Nextflow, etc.
- Knowledge of GA4GH standards.
- REST- based and GraphQL stateless data source backends.
- Technical writing experience: grants, business plans, project proposals.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Experience in software/biotechnology startups.
B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in physical sciences, mathematics, data science, computer science or demonstrated knowledge and capability equivalent.
Interested candidates may submit a current C.V. and a letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates may choose to include contact information for three references when submitting. If this information is not provided it will be requested from candidates that pass the initial screening process.
The ideal person for this position will have worked on multiple genomics-based data analysis projects and will have a wealth of knowledge with workflow development and management, distribution of bioinformatics methods, data sharing, Python, cloud computing, and web development. They will be motivated to work on a product that will enable users to analyze genomics data faster and with more confidence, enjoy working in a startup environment, and be excited to see their contributions put to use. This person will enjoy living in beautiful Northwest Montana and appreciate the year round opportunities and climate.
xD Bio is a privately held startup software/biotechnology company. Our focus is simplifying the biomedical data to knowledge process by enabling users to easily share, find, and reuse data analysis techniques through our web-based application Truwl (https://truwl.com). Our vision is to simplify the data-to-knowledge process so professional researchers, citizen scientists, clinicians, and other motivated individuals can find and use the most appropriate methods to make sense of genomic data and will push forward research in basic science, disease, agriculture, and conservation.
xD Bio Inc. is headquartered in Whitefish, Montana in the beautiful Flathead Valley. Just minutes away from Glacier National park and a world class ski resort, Whitefish is famous for its outdoor recreational offerings that includes hiking, biking, and fishing in the summer, and skiing/snowboarding and backcountry adventuring in the winter. Additionally the community offers fine dining, performing arts, and many other leisure activities.
The Flathead Valley of Montana has been expanding in the past decade, and there is a growing base of technical jobs. An ideal place to raise a family, the Flathead Valley offers a great education system, low cost of living, and a safe family environment.
Equal Employment Opportunity: xD Bio Inc is an equal opportunity employer. All applications are considered for employment on the basis of their qualifications and competencies alone. xD Bio hires without regard to an applicant’s race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, age, ancestry, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, or sexual orientation.