Everyone’s DNA tells a story. The science team at Living DNA research and develop methods and pipelines to analyse genetic data. Living DNA products include a direct-to-consumer ancestry test based on advanced inference algorithms and a recently developed genetic family matching service. We have designed a bespoke chip and are entering an exciting phase of work to engineer new products in fitness and nutrition.
About the role
We are seeking a candidate with strong quantitative skills and a keen interest in health genetics to join our science team as a Bioinformatician. The role will involve developing and producing genomic pipelines that analyse people’s DNA, giving insight into their wellbeing and fitness-related traits, potential health risks and nutritional opportunities.
- Identify and benchmark methods for trait prediction as well as contribute to the development of novel strategies for extracting outcomes from genetic and phenotypic data
- Lead the design and implementation of statistical techniques to analyse and integrate large datasets
- Build pipelines for processing and analysing genotyping data to provide insight into traits related to health, fitness, and nutrition
- Work in close collaboration with academic partners, as well as the tech and product teams to facilitate turning science into a Living DNA health product
- Communicate project results both verbally and in writing to scientists and non-scientists
- Work with other members of the science team to support the existing ancestry products and operations when required
- PhD or MSc in bioinformatics, statistical genetics, epidemiology, human population genetics, or a related discipline, or equivalent work experience
- Data and statistics: strong skills in applied statistics, ideally including experience in some of the following: GWAS, genetic epidemiology, causal inference, machine learning
- Coding: strong coding experience in Python and/or R. Version control in Git. SQL is a plus. Comfortable in a Unix/Linux environment. AWS/Google Cloud experience is a plus
- Pipeline development: able to pick up the development and validation of internal pipelines
- Product focus: passionate about consumer health and building innovative products. Experience generating and executing novel ideas
- Culture: a history of being proactive, thorough. Able to work independently and as a part of the team
As part of the Living DNA family not only will you be working with amazing people who are passionate about bringing cutting edge science to people, but you will also benefit from:
- Flexible working, including remote working
- 25 days holiday per annum plus bank holidays
- Brand new purpose built offices with on-site gym, showers and cafe (subsidised)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Matched pension contribution (4%)
- Health care (cash plan after 1 year)
Getting to know us
Living DNA is part of DNA Worldwide Group, founded in 2004, to take the complex world of science and make it understandable. Living DNA, which launched in 2016, provides direct to consumer DNA testing with a focus on helping you understand more about your ancestry and health. The purpose of the company is to help dissolve the notion of race and for society to work together as one. The company is headquartered in Frome, Somerset, UK.