SOFTWARE ENGINEER, UCSC Genomics Institute
The Genomics Institute creates advanced technologies and open-source genomics platforms to unravel evolutionary patterns, molecular processes and the underpinnings of disease. Our platforms, technologies and scientists unite global communities to create and deploy data-driven, life-saving treatments and innovative environmental, conservation efforts. The Genomics Institute is openly and responsibly sharing what is learned and created with the entire genomics community. It is a public university institution dedicated to creating a healthier world.
The Computational Genomics Platform (CGP) team uses big data technologies to facilitate genomic research for global health issues such as breast cancer and other genetic risk factors. The team collaborates with many universities and institutes around the world. Examples of projects include supporting a global team to create the Human Cell Atlas, a compendium that maps gene activity in each cell in the human body, and the National Health Institute Data Commons project, which is about developing the technology to share and combine controlled access to genomic data across different institutes. If you are excited to work in a fast-paced, startup-like environment within an institution of higher education in beautiful Santa Cruz, California, we encourage you to apply.
The Software Engineer develops software for the Computational Genomics Platform (https://cgl.genomics.ucsc.edu/team/) to support a wide variety of grant deliverables. They use skills as a seasoned, experienced bioinformatics programming professional with a broad understanding of computational algorithms to identify and resolve a wide range of issues/software bugs. The incumbent solves dynamic and challenging problems, learning new technologies as necessary and collaborating with colleagues and external partners. The Software Engineer uses Agile software development methods to produce reliable and reusable code that will be used in leading genomics science. Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions and operates independently.
- 60% - Analyzes existing programs or works to formulate logic for new systems, devises logic procedures, flow charts, data analysis, codes and tests / debugs programs. May develop, implement, and maintain web interfaces to share and display bioinformatics analysis and content with collaborators and other users. May be required to learn new technologies to support achievement of software development objectives.
- 20% - Applies complex bioinformatics concepts to design, develop, modify, debug, and evaluate software programs and web tools.
- 10% - Recommends and implements changes in development, maintenance and sets system standards for analysis algorithms, tools, and infrastructure.
- 10% - Performs performance and integration testing, and builds user interfaces for a variety of internal and external constituents. Uses Agile software development methods.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with and demonstrated knowledge of applications programming, web development, and data structures.
- Experience with and demonstrated understanding of database technologies.
- Advanced interpersonal skills in order to work with both technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization, including senior project leadership.
- Ability to communicate technical information in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to interface with management on a regular basis.
- Demonstrated advanced problem-solving skills.
- Programming skills in Python or similar languages.
- Experience with Cloud computing or distributed computing environments.
- Experience with development and operation of Unix/Linux based servers.
- Bachelor's degree in biological science, computational / programming, or related area and / or equivalent experience/training.
- Experience with and demonstrated knowledge of bioinformatics methods.
- Demonstrated knowledge of bioinformatics programming design, modification, and implementation.
- Knowledge of and experience applying web application and data security concepts and methods.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY!