Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch’s pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation’s first cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women’s Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Careers Start Here.
Responsibilities A Computational Biologist/Bioinformatics Analyst position in the Prostate Cancer Program (Peter Nelson, Michael Haffner, John Lee, and Valeri Vasioukhin) in the Division of Human Biology is available immediately. We are seeking a highly motivated individual who is interested in studying the genetics and epigenetics of cancer including single cell analysis using computational approaches. Candidates who are excited about large/complex ‘omics’ data analysis and cancer research are encouraged to apply. The position has a competitive salary with great benefits.
The Prostate Cancer Program uses new DNA sequencing technologies to study cancer genomes. The lab is also focused on research involving liquid biopsies, such as cell-free DNA and circulating tumor cells, and developing new computational approaches to leverage these data for genome discovery and cancer burden monitoring. The research interests/projects in the prostate cancer program include:
- Analysis of cancer genomes to understand tumor progression/evolution, metastatic disease, non-coding genome alterations, copy number alterations, genome rearrangements and 3D structure, mutational signatures.
- Development and analysis of sensitive approaches to detect tumor-derived DNA in cell-free DNA from patient blood plasma
- Analysis of tumor microenvironments and tumor heterogeneity using single-cell RNA sequencing.
- Validation of genomics results using functional experiments
- Cancer immunotherapy
- Development and analysis of preclinical models of cancer
- Digital spatial profiling of multiple RNA/Protein markers
Candidates with strong interest and/or expertise in any of these research areas are highly encouraged to apply:
- Cancer genomics, liquid biopsies, tumor evolution/heterogeneity, single-cell transcriptomics
- Application of statistical modeling, algorithm design, artificial intelligence to study cancer and genetics
- Analysis of large, complex genome, epigenome or transcriptome data
Applicants must have at least a Bachelor’s degree in one of these disciplines: computational biology, bioinformatics, computer science, data science, statistics, biostatistics, biomedical engineering, computer/electrical engineering, physics, or other related fields.
Applicants should have some of the following skills and experience:
- Work well in team environments; strong communication skills; detail-oriented
- Strong programming experience (R, Python, Matlab, Java, C/C++, Perl or other languages for research)
- Experience with high performance computing environments or cloud computing environments is a plus
- Experience with analyzing sequencing data is considered a strong asset.
To apply, please submit your application with the following:
- Cover letter describing your experience and/or research interests
- Example of your code either as (1) an attachment or (2) link(s) to public repositories (e.g. GitHub)
- Names and email addresses of three references
Our Commitment to Diversity We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity and VEVRAA Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at email@example.com or by calling 206-667-4700.