Postdoctoral Research Fellow position within molecular cell biology/biochemistry
At the Department of Biological Sciences, there is a vacancy for a postdoctoral research fellow position. The position is for a fixed term of 3 years, with the possibility for an extension of up to 6 months, and is associated with the FRIMEDBIO project “LiceVault - implementing a model organism for studying vault function and application as a smart adjuvant for fish vaccination” funded by the Research Council of Norway.
About the project:
Do you want to work with solving the riddle around one of the last enigmatic organelles of cells? Vaults are large ribonucleoprotein complexes that have been found in many organisms, from amoeba to humans. They have been implicated in multidrug resistance, stress response, and signaling, but their true function remains unknown. Within our new project LiceVault, you will work on elucidating the function of vaults with a particular focus on their role in chemoresistance and stress tolerance in the Atlantic salmon louse, an important fish parasite. You will join an international team of skilled researchers in an inspiring multi-disciplinary environment You like to work creatively with a broad perspective: from cell biology to fish vaccination You will work on generating and testing novel hypotheses in the lab You will develop experiments for studying vaults and their components. You will characterize vault genes and their products by functional genomics, gene-editing, genomics, and transcriptomics. Part of the project and training (~3 months) will be carried out at our project partner’s institute at UCLA/USA
Qualifications and personal qualities
We seek a highly motivated candidate with a strong analytical mindset who is able to work in an interdisciplinary and international team.
Applicants must hold a Norwegian PhD or an equivalent degree within biochemistry, biology, molecular biology, or a related field, or must have submitted their doctoral thesis for assessment in a relevant field prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the PhD has been awarded. Applicants must be able to work independently and in a structured manner and have the ability to cooperate with others. Applicants must have demonstrated good skills in scientific communication in oral and written English
Documented experience within the following fields will be considered an advantage:
- Recombinant protein and RNA expression
- Cell culture Protein and RNA binding assays
- Oxidative stress response and DNA-repair
- Experience in designing and conducting protocols and bioassays for efficacy studies
- Experience with multi-omics techniques and data analysis will also be a plus
Personal and relational qualities will be emphasized. Research experience, ambitions and potential will also count when evaluating the candidates.
The project will be carried out in close collaboration with our partner in the USA. The successful candidate will be hosted at the partner’s institution for ~3 months. Additional traveling will be required.
We can offer:
- A good and professionally challenging working environment
- Salary at pay grade 60 (code 1352 / pay range 24, alternative 4) according to the state salary scale upon appointment.
- This constitutes a gross annual salary of NOK 532 300. Further promotions are made according to the length of service. For particularly highly qualified applicants, a higher salary may be considered.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- A letter of motivation as account of the applicant's research interests and motivation for applying for the position.
- The names and contact information for two referees. One of these should be the main advisor from the PhD programme.
- Academic CV
- Transcripts and diplomas and official confirmation that the doctoral thesis has been submitted
- Relevant certificates/references
- List of any works of a scientific nature (publication list)
- Full list of publications (as applicable)
- The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at JobbNorge
Please note that your application and attachments such as all certificates and transcripts must be in or translated to English or a Scandinavian language (that is Norwegian, Danish, or Swedish only!). Applications via other channels than our recruitment system will not be considered.