JOB TITLE: Bioinformatics Scientist
LOCATION: North Bethesda, MD
DEPARTMENT: Strategic Initiatives
WORK SCHEDULE: Days
WORK TYPE: Full Time
At Geisinger, we've been focused on advancing the future of health for more than a century. Today, we continue with the MyCode Community Health Initiative, our groundbreaking genomics research program that has enrolled more than 250,000 of our patients. Geisinger's trail-blazing work to move genomic research into clinical care has made us a leader in precision medicine and paved the way for others in the healthcare industry to follow. Research at Geisinger is highly collaborative, with broad research opportunities for exploring the genetic architecture of diseases such as cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and neurodevelopmental/psychiatric disorders, as well as pharmacogenomic traits and rare genetic disorders, among others.
As we expand our large-scale genomics efforts into North Bethesda, Maryland, we are looking for motivated individuals with a background in bioinformatics, genomics, or population genetics to join our team. You will play a key role in translating population genomic data into clinical care by leveraging the growing DiscovEHR dataset of 145,000 exome sequences and accompanying clinical data. You will apply state-of-the-art computational methods, programming abilities, and critical thinking skills to translational research projects in collaboration with internal and external clinicians and biomedical scientists, statisticians, and clinical data analysts. The successful candidate will have demonstrated ability to work independently as part of a multidisciplinary team, communicate clearly, and deliver timely results.
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Demonstrates clear capacity for scientific productivity and the ability to independently develop, implement and manage a bioinformatics or computational biology research program.
- Demonstrates critical thinking skills, creativity, and the ability to work independently.
- Demonstrates leadership and management skills.
- Demonstrates teamwork, organizational planning and analytical skills.
- Demonstrates time management skills, and self-motivation.
- Demonstrates excellent written, oral and electronic communication skills.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- PhD in biological sciences, bioinformatics, computational biology, or related discipline such as statistical genetics, populations genetics, etc.
- Demonstrated knowledge of statistical genomics with significant experience working with GWAS/PheWAS software to analyze large genomic data sets preferred.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Work is typically performed in an office or clinical environment.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
OUR PURPOSE & VALUES
Everything we do is about caring for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities.
KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves.
EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence.
LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow.
INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
Geisinger is a physician-led health system comprised of approximately 30,000 employees, including nearly 1,600 employed physicians, 13 hospital campuses, two research centers, and a 583,000-member health plan Geisinger is nationally recognized for innovative practices and quality care. Geisinger serves more than 3 million people in central, south-central and northeast Pennsylvania and also in southern New Jersey with the addition of National Malcolm Baldridge Award recipient AtlantiCare, A member of Geisinger. In 2017, the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine became the newest member of the Geisinger Family.
We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and domestic partners.
* Perhaps just as important, from senior management on down, we encourage an atmosphere of collaboration, cooperation and collegiality. For more information, visit www.geisinger.org, or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
** Does not qualify for J-1 waiver. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer Women and Minorities are Encouraged to Apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status.
*Domestic partner benefits not applicable at Geisinger Holy Spirit.
Contact Us: Bobbi Hicks @ firstname.lastname@example.org