The role of Target Discovery Genetics Project Leader is to 1) generate novel disease insights by applying our novel mathematics (Taxonomy3) to genetic datasets 2) work with other functions in C4X to identify novel drug targets with direct genetic support to drive the C4X Drug Discovery Engine. Working with geneticists, bioinformaticians, mathematicians and drug discovery project leaders, this position utilises these novel analytical methods within a corporate environment. This is done successfully by interacting with scientists in a multidisciplinary setting to ensure the necessary inputs to complete these steps. The role also requires project leaders to identify and manage external academic collaborations, monitoring the interactions to ensure quality and timely reporting. Responsibilities
- Identify suitable datasets in disease areas which align with C4XD’s commercial and scientific criteria.
- In conjunction with other C4X members, deliver novel target proposals to the New Targets Team (NTT) in a timely manner.
- Access the necessary skills and resources from within C4XD to ensure the projects progress smoothly and efficiently. Establish and manage external collaborations.
- Communicate results to the wider C4X organisation.
- Ensure record keeping and archiving of data is up to date and accurate.
- Ensure C4X and external data privacy policies are adhered to.
- Apply own specialist genetics, statistics or mathematics knowledge to target discovery projects at the appropriate stage in the pipeline.
- Support the continued development of the technology and its application in drug discovery and development.
Education, Experience & Skills Required:
- PhD in genetics, mathematics or statistics with experience in managing genetic research projects.
- Experience of managing big genetics and genomic datasets.
- Knowledge and understanding of data privacy issues and requirements.
- Numerate and agile with maths/statistics.
- Experience with IT tools, software, genetic analysis software, computing environments (Linux) as well as experience of programming languages (such as R, Python, MySQL).
- Highly self-motivated, flexible and organised.
- The ability to work independently but know when additional input is required.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Creative thinking and enthusiasm for innovation.