EnginZyme is a Swedish startup founded in 2014 that is building the most general and most efficient technology platform for chemical production that the world has ever seen. That’s a big claim, but we can stand behind it. Our platform combines the breadth and power of nature (enzymatic cascades) with the efficiency of the chemical industry (packed bed reactors) in a best-of-both-worlds technological solution.
Our technology gives us a unique position to address many challenges facing the chemical industry in the 21st century. In particular, our ambition is to play a key role in tackling climate change — both by accelerating the industry’s transition to sustainability, and by innovating solutions for other industries through novel chemical products.
We’re funded by well-known investors, our team comes from all over the world and are experts in what they do. We’re building an industry-leading company for the long-term, and want to invite you to come along for the journey.
What you’ll do
At EnginZyme, we take the best parts of synthetic biology - multi-step enzymatic reactions, and eliminate the worst bits - chassis design, flux, promotors, regulators and other complexities needed to engineer living cells. Instead we replace all that with a simple alternative: highly stable enzymes immobilised on our patented supports applied in fixed bed reactors - the gold standard for bulk chemistry. One requirement for us to realise the potential of our enzymes is that they are incredibly stable. That’s where our protein engineering team comes in. As a part of our protein engineering team, you will leverage state-of-the-art computational methods to develop precisely these stable enzymes tailored for our needs.
In addition to developing stable enzymes you will also help to improve the quality and diversity of our enzyme candidate libraries and support other activities related to enzyme discovery, route scouting and leveraging of data.
Key tasks and responsibilities are:
- Setup and use of state-of-the-art software infrastructure necessary to fulfill required modeling tasks such as increasing stability, activity or selectivity using structure-based computational chemistry techniques
- Application, development and implementation of novel computational methods to leverage protein structure and experimental data for enzyme library creation and enzyme engineering
- In-silico enzyme database screening to identify candidate enzymes with desired properties
- Engagement with automation and process development teams to enable leveraging of data from gene to immobilised enzyme through to process performance
- The position is based in Stockholm and may include some traveling for research and development purposes.
The position is based in Stockholm and may include some traveling for research and development purposes.
Who you are
We’re looking for a world-class bioinformatician at the top of his or her abilities, ideally someone who is also comfortable with the state of the art in machine learning. Although we think you probably a PhD in bioinformatics, this is not a requirement. What’s important is that you can deliver.
In terms of personal qualities, we’re looking for someone who:
- Has a passion for what they do. Someone who has found their calling — the kind of person who thinks about bioinformatics in the shower.
- Gets things done. A self-disciplined, hard-working doer.
- Doesn’t settle. Someone who pushes the envelope — overdelivers, goes out of their comfort zone, resists stagnation.
- Is agreeable. A warm, cooperative, and friendly person. If this describes you, you’ll fit in with the rest of the team!
What we can offer you
- The opportunity to be part of something big and important
- Getting to advance state-of-the-art technology
- To work with extraordinary researchers on challenging tasks
- Competitive salary and equity in the company
- The get in on the ground floor — it’s still early days (and we plan to grow our headcount by more than 50% this year alone)
- A friendly, multi-cultural, tight-knit group employing people from all over the world. On our team of 15 we today have Brits, Bolivians, Norwegians, Argentinians, Russians, Mexicans, half-Indians and quarter-Samis — actual Swedes are a minority!
- Startup mentality. No red tape, lots of responsibility and ownership
- One of the best cities in the world to live and work (don’t take our word for it! Just listen to this guy for five minutes: ). We offer relocation support and help you get set up
- Flexible hours
- An environment where you’re free — and expected — to continuously learn and grow
MORE INFO ABOUT ENGINZYME: http://enginzyme.com/