The European Union Reference Laboratory for Genetically Modified Food and Feed (EURL GMFF) of the European Commission’s Joint Research Centre (JRC, Ispra) is offering a unique opportunity for two full-time high-caliber Bioinformaticians, to redesign its Communication and Information Systems (CIS) and related workflow.
The successful candidates will contribute significantly to the Laboratory’s mission on the authorisation procedure of new GMOs and the official control of the GM products on the market.
The work of the Laboratory has a critical impact across the EU and worldwide by validating GMO authorisation methods, developing high-standard testing methods, working closely with National Reference Laboratories (NRLs), steering the European Network of GMO Laboratories and providing support to EU Member-States. The EURL GMFF Group at the JRC has a worldwide reputation in testing and validating analytical methods for GMO detection and all the necessary equipment and Molecular Biology expertise to carry out the experimental part of the project.
The Scope of the Role:
The successful candidates will work on the:
- Analysis and design of a new EURL GMFF CIS solution
- Implementation of ew internal and public web applications
- Design of Bioinformatics pipeline for analysis of NGS sequencing data
- User's manual configuration
- Elaboration of requirements and business case analysis documents
- Rationalisation of current data workflow
- Systems development for EU authorised and unauthorised GM products’ detection
Tools & Technologies
- Data-processing (Next Generation Sequencing)
- Python, Java, PHP
- RDBMS (i.e. MySQL and similar)
- NoSQL (i.e. MongoDB)
- CSV, XML, JSON
- Solid skills in Algorithms for DNA Sequencing
- Experience with Genetic Algorithms
- Ability to translate scientific user needs into IT processes
- Master’s Degree in Bioinformatics, Computer Science or related field
- Min. 5 years of proven working experience in a similar role
- Ability to work within an international setting, both independently and as part of a team
- Excellent skills in English
- Solution-oriented mindset and excellent communication skills
Starting Date: ASAP
COVID-19 Note: The JRC (Ispra) will open its offices gradually, in a cautious and safe manner. All new IT Consultants assigned to JRC Projects, will have the possibility to Work From Home until then.
If interested, please send your CV at fania.pallikarakis[AT]trasysinternational.com
Service Delivery Manager
fania.pallikarakis [AT] trasysinternational.com | Linkedin
ABOUT TRASYS International
We are TRASYS International (NRB Group), an ICT company with over 25 years of a successful track record working with European Institutions and Agencies, offering IT consulting, solutions and services. Our Mission is to help our clients keep up with the challenges of digital transformation by providing the right talent at the right time for the right job. To this end, we are constantly looking for talented professionals who are interested in working on challenging international projects and able to deliver high-quality results within multicultural environments. Our services include (but are not limited to) modernisation solutions, digital workspaces, cloud technologies and IT security. Our Headquarters are in Brussels and we have active accounts and offices across Europe (i.e. Luxembourg, Ispra, Amsterdam, Athens, Stockholm).