Postdoctoral Scholar - Metabolic Engineering - 90520
Organization: BE-Biological Systems & Eng
Berkeley Lab’s Biological Systems and Engineering Division (https://biosciences.lbl.gov/divisions/bse/) has an opening for a Postdoctoral Scholar – Metabolic Engineering.
In this exciting role, you will work in the Department of Energy (DOE) funded Joint BioEnergy Institute (JBEI) with the Microbial and Enzyme Discovery Group located in Emeryville, California. You will be focused on engineering microbial strains for carbon-efficient conversion of lignocellulosic biomass to biofuels and bioproducts.
What You Will Do:
- Engineer bacteria to convert plant-derived sugars and aromatics to biofuels and bioproducts.
- Analyze engineered strains with transcriptomics and proteomics.
- Work with others at JBEI to develop metabolic models of carbon-efficient strains.
- Publish scientific papers in peer-reviewed journals and present findings at seminars and conferences.
- Collaborate with other members of the group and across the Divisions at JBEI.
- Maintain an accurate and detailed electronic scientific logbook of all experiments performed. Store all data generated in an organized and secure way. Ensure that others could duplicate results.
What Is Required:
- Ph.D. in Microbiology, Chemical Engineering, Molecular Biology, or other relevant fields within the last 3 years.
- Demonstrated ability in strain development.
- Ability to interpret large ‘omic datasets.
- Experience in metabolic engineering and microbial culturing.
- Demonstrated track record of publishing in the peer-reviewed scientific literature.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work with multi-disciplinary teams.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Experience with microbial fermentation.
- Experience with 13C metabolic flux analysis
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled.
- This is a full time, 2 year, postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 3 years paid postdoctoral experience. Salary for Postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post-degree.
- Full-time, M-F, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
- This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
- Salary will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will be primarily performed at Joint BioEnergy Institute (JBEI) — Bldg. 978, 5885 Hollis St., 4th floor, Emeryville, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://220.127.116.11/counter.php?id=182971 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Biological Systems and Engineering Division
Vision: To lead efforts that combine the power of biology with the tools of engineering to develop sustainable energy and biomanufacturing solutions and improve human health.
Mission: Advance a mechanistic and predictive understanding of complex biological systems over multiple scales in terms of their responses to manipulation, stress, disease and environmental challenges and translate this knowledge using engineering principles to develop resilient systems, tools, and processes for the efficient production of fuels, chemicals, materials, tissues, and therapeutics.
Berkeley Lab (LBNL, http://www.lbl.gov/) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Working at Berkeley Lab has many rewards including a competitive compensation program, excellent health and welfare programs, a retirement program that is second to none, and outstanding development opportunities. To view information about the many rewards that are offered at Berkeley Lab- Click Here (https://hr.lbl.gov/).
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4 (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/PayTransparencyNondiscrimination.html). Click here (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm) to view the poster: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law".
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory encourages applications from women, minorities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups presently considering scientific research careers.