At the Department of Biological Sciences in Bergen there is a vacancy for a postdoctoral research fellow position and a PhD position within molecular cell biology/biochemistry.
The post-doc position is for a fixed term of 3 years and the PhD position is for a fixed term of 3 years with the possibility of a 4th year. Both positions are associated with the FRIMEDBIO project “LiceVault - implementing a model organism for studying vault function and application as smart adjuvant for fish vaccination” funded by the Research Council of Norway.
About the project/work tasks
Do you want to work with solving the riddle around one of the last enigmatic organelles of cells? Vaults are large ribonucleoprotein complexes that have been found in many organisms, from amoeba to humans. They have been implicated in multi-drug resistance, stress response, and signaling, but their true function remains unknown. Within our new project LiceVault funded by the Research Council of Norway, you will work on elucidating the function of vaults with a particular focus on their role in chemoresistance and stress tolerance in the Atlantic salmon louse, an important fish parasite.
- You will join an international team of skilled researchers in an inspiring multi-disciplinary environment.
- You like to work creatively with a holistic perspective: from cell biology to fish vaccination
- You will work on generating and testing novel hypotheses in the lab
- You will develop experiments for studying vaults and their components.
- Characterizing vault genes and their products by functional genomics, gene-editing, genomics, and transcriptomics.
- Part of the project and training (~3 months) will be carried out at our project partner’s institute at UCLA/USA
We can offer:
- a good and professionally stimulating working environment
- PhD position: salary at pay grade 54 (Code 1017/Pay range 20, alternative 10) in the state salary scale. This constitutes a gross annual - salary of NOK 479 600,- (~50 000 US$). Further promotions are made according to length of service in the position.
- Post-doc position: starting salary at pay grade 60 (code 1352 / pay range 24, alternative 4) according to the state salary scale upon appointment. This constitutes a gross annual salary of NOK 532 300 (~56 000 US$). Further promotions are made according to length of service. For particularly highly qualified applicants, a higher salary may be considered.
- enrollment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- PhD candidate: a brief account of the applicant's research interests and motivation for applying for the position
- Post-doc: a letter of motivation as account of the applicant's research interests and motivation for applying for the position.
- the names and contact information for two referees. One of these should be the main advisor for the master's/PhD thesis or equivalent thesis
- transcripts and diplomas showing completion of the relevant degrees. For post-doc positions that naturally at least includes MSc and PhD transcripts AND diplomas.
- If you have not yet completed your master's/PhD degree, please submit a statement from your institution confirming that the master's thesis has been submitted relevant certificates/references
- For the PhD candidate: approved documentation of proficiency in English (if required, cf. English language requirements for PhD admission)
- a list of any works of a scientific nature (publication list)
- any publications in your name The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge.
Please make sure that your application is complete as incomplete applications or applications submitted via a different channel than Jobbnorge will be disregarded.
For more information about the positions and submitting your application please refer directly to:
- post-doctoral research fellow position (deadline 15.8.2020)
- PhD position (deadline 10.8.2020)
Note the different deadlines.