BadProteinStart errors when uploading PGAP .sqn file to NCBI
1
0
Entering edit mode
15 months ago
yarmda ▴ 40

I am trying to upload an annotation file to NCBI. NCBI will run PGAP - their prokaryote annotation tool - but not if I have additional annotations. Since I do, from my own source, I am trying to combine them into a single upload file because NCBI will not take multiple. So, PGAP produces a .sqn file when I run it locally and it concludes, I use asn2gb to convert this into a .tbl file that I can combine with the .tbl file I produce through a custom script, and then tbl2asn creates the new .sqn file for upload. However, this file leads to a large series of BadProteinStart (and bad codon start) errors that are sourced from the PGAP annotation.

I believe this to be related to running both asn2gb and then tbl2asn causing a translation table error, but I haven't found a location I can set it to specify the prokaryote translation table (gcode=11). I have tried running tbl2asn with "-j gcode=11" but this was no different.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I can post the errors themselves, the discrepancy report, the error summary evaluation, etc. but I think everything relevant is laid out here already.

I will note that my custom annotations do not cause these errors. Further, running PGAP and converting it to tbl and back causes these errors on its own, without input from my annotations.

ncbi annotation pgap sequin • 336 views
ADD COMMENT
0
Entering edit mode

This might be because I was changing the header format that came from asn2gb to match what I was using for tbl2asn. This made sense because I was combining two tbl files and the information I was removing didn't seem significant, but was apparently an issue.

What had said ">Feature lcl|1" from PGAP was being replaced with ">Feature 1" as in my custom tbl. Now, I have not made that change and it appears to resolve the issue.

ADD REPLY
1
Entering edit mode
15 months ago
yarmda ▴ 40

This might be because I was changing the header format that came from asn2gb to match what I was using for tbl2asn. This made sense because I was combining two tbl files and the information I was removing didn't seem significant, but was apparently an issue.

What had said ">Feature lcl|1" from PGAP was being replaced with ">Feature 1" as in my custom tbl. Now, I have not made that change and it appears to resolve the issue.

ADD COMMENT
1
Entering edit mode

Hopefully those two features actually match besides the fact that the headers match now. Otherwise you may be uploading two different sets with identical headers.

ADD REPLY

Login before adding your answer.

Traffic: 2430 users visited in the last hour
Help About
FAQ
Access RSS
API
Stats

Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy.

Powered by the version 2.3.6