Apply here: https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucsc/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&SiteId=11&FOCUS=Applicant&JobOpeningId=15924&PostingSeq=1
The Initial Review Date (IRD) for this job is: 03-15-2021
A laboratory technician is sought to participate as part of a team providing nanopore based DNA and RNA sequencing services to University of California campuses and other Academic collaborators, but especially the Genomics Institute at University of California, Santa Cruz. The position involves isolating of nucleic acids (RNA and DNA) from biological samples, sequencing these samples using MinION and PromethION devices, and managing data analyses particular to nanopore sequencing platforms.
The incumbent will be supervised by Assistant Research Scientist Miten Jain. That individual will extract and process DNA or RNA from biological samples and prepare libraries for nanopore sequencing. This will especially involve newly developed protocols for ultralong sequencing. The incumbent will be able to operate MinION and PromethION devices and associated computers for the successful collection of sequencing data from these samples. They will also manage data transfer to long term digital storage of sequencing data as well as contribute to bioinformatic analyses.
In addition, this position will perform general lab management duties such as ordering supplies, maintaining a safe and functional laboratory environment, working in compliance with EH&S safety protocols, keeping laboratory safety training records, etc.
More information about the Genomics Institute can be found at: https://ucscgenomics.soe.ucsc.edu/
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
Salary Information: Salary Range: $26.21 - $31.55/hour. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: This position is eligible for Full benefits
- Full-time, Fixed
- Percentage of Time: 100%
- Average Hours Per Week: 40
- Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
- Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz main campus
Union Representation: Yes - TX Union
70% - Core Function: Prepares and Processes Samples
- Isolate, extract, and process DNA or RNA from biological samples and prepare libraries for nanopore sequencing.
- Follow newly developed protocols for ultralong sequencing.
- Maintains and develops research/data gathering, retrieval and reporting systems.
- Operate MinION and PromethION devices and associated computers for the successful collection of sequencing data from these samples.
20% - Core Function: Laboratory Facility Maintenance
- Perform general lab management duties such as ordering supplies, maintaining a safe and functional laboratory environment, working in compliance with EH&S safety protocols, keeping laboratory safety training records, etc.
10% - Core Function: Process and Analyze Data
- Manage data transfer to long term digital storage of sequencing data.
- Contribute to bioinformatic analyses.
- Prepares reports and / or analyses for internal department constituents.
- Bachelor's degree in molecular biology, bioinformatics, or related field and/or equivalent experience.
- Experience performing basic molecular biology tasks (e.g. extraction and purification of DNA and RNA, PCR, sterile technique, etc.).
- Attention to detail and responsible and safe work practices.
- Skills to communicate complex information in a clear and concise manner both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work harmoniously and effectively with faculty, staff and students.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to work as an effective member of a team.
- Experience with library prep for nanopore sequencing, techniques used in barcoding analysis and bioinformatic skills.
- Demonstrated experience in executing a series of experiments in the context of a supervised project, ability to follow and adapt established protocols, troubleshoot experiments and work independently.
- Experience with handling DNA sequence data and with software tools used in the preliminary data management steps of bioinformatics (e.g., proficiency with Python, Bash, UNIX).
- Experience troubleshooting DNA and RNA extraction from biological samples.
- Master's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
All UCSC employees must know and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
How to Apply
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying to this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Select How to Apply for more instructions and information.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.