APPLY HERE: https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucsc/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=11&JobOpeningId=16293&PostingSeq=1
The Initial Review Date (IRD) for this job is: 03-29-2021
Dept Marketing Statement
We create advanced technologies and open-source genomics platforms to unravel evolutionary patterns, molecular processes and the underpinnings of disease. Our platforms, technologies and scientists unite global communities to create and deploy data-driven, life-saving treatments and innovative environmental and conservation efforts.
We will openly and responsibly share what we learn and create. We are a public institution dedicated to creating a healthier world.
More information about the Genomics Institute can be found at: https://ucscgenomics.soe.ucsc.edu/
A laboratory technician is sought to participate as part of a team providing DNA and RNA sequencing services to University of California campuses and other Academic collaborators, but especially the Genomics Institute at University of California, Santa Cruz. The position involves sequencing biological samples and managing data analyses particular to sequencing platforms.
Under the general direction of the Assistant Research Scientist Miten Jain, the incumbent, will extract and process DNA or RNA from biological samples and prepare libraries for sequencing. This will especially involve newly developed protocols for ultralong sequencing. The incumbent will be able to operate devices and associated computers for the successful collection of sequencing data from these samples. They will also manage data transfer to long term digital storage of sequencing data as well as contribute to bioinformatic analyses.
The incumbent will work independently and in collaboration with the Assistant Research Scientist and others on the research team. Responsibilities will include participation in archival data collection, interpretation of results, and preparation of scientific reporting (e.g. project report, presentations).
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
Salary Information: Salary Range: $64,570.620 - $83,552.24/year. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: This position is eligible for Full benefits
Schedule Information: Full-time, Fixed
Percentage of Time: 100%
Average Hours Per Week: 40
Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz main campus
Union Representation: Yes - RX Union
70% - Core Function: Research, Prepare and Process Samples
- Isolate, extract, and process DNA or RNA from biological samples and prepare libraries for sequencing.
- Follow newly developed protocols for ultralong sequencing.
- Develop and maintain research/data gathering, retrieval and reporting systems.
- Operate devices and associated computers for the successful collection of sequencing data from these samples.
- Participate in strategic direction of nanopore services and reporting on results and discoveries.
- Collaborate with team members to modify, vary and/or adapt procedures as needed.
20% - Core Function: Process and Analyze Data
- Manage data transfer to long term digital storage of sequencing data
- Contribute to bioinformatic analyses.
- Prepares reports and / or analyses for internal department constituents.
- Participate in interpretation of results
- Contribute as needed to the preparation and dissemination of project reports, publications and presentations.
10% - Core Function: Laboratory Facility Maintenance
- Perform general lab management duties such as ordering supplies, maintaining a safe and functional laboratory environment, working in compliance with EH&S safety protocols, keeping laboratory safety training records, etc.
- Experience with research in in molecular biology, bioinformatics, or related field.
- Experience performing basic molecular biology tasks (e.g. extraction and purification of DNA and RNA, PCR, sterile technique, etc.)
- Excellent writing skills.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and responsible and safe work practices.
- Skills to communicate complex information in a clear and concise manner both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work harmoniously and effectively with faculty, staff and students as part of a team.
- Ability to work independently, with general guidance from the project supervisors.
- Master's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Experience with library preparation for sequencing, techniques used in barcoding analysis and bioinformatic skills.
- Demonstrated experience in executing a series of experiments in the context of a supervised project, ability to follow and adapt established protocols, troubleshoot experiments and work independently.
- Experience with handling DNA sequence data and with software tools used in the preliminary data management steps of bioinformatics (e.g., proficiency with Python, Bash, UNIX).
- Experience troubleshooting DNA and RNA extraction from biological samples.
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
All UCSC employees must know and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
How to Apply: https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucsc/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=11&JobOpeningId=16293&PostingSeq=1