FlyBase Bioinformatics Developer/Research Associate
The web development group at FlyBase has a full-time position available for a Bioinformatics Developer. The selected candidate will be responsible for helping the FlyBase web development group create, maintain and extend all aspects of the public interface of FlyBase. This includes helping with web site release cycles, web application development, database design, web services, system administration, evaluating 3rd party software and end user support. Applicants must be proficient in Perl programming and have a demonstrated track record of successful software development projects. The candidate must be comfortable working with project members both locally and in disparate geographic locations and possess excellent communication skills.
FlyBase (http://flybase.org) is the leading database and web portal for genetic and genomic information on the fruit fly Drosophila melanogaster and related fly species. FlyBase was started in 1992 and is a consortium made up of groups from Harvard University, Indiana University, Cambridge University and the University of New Mexico. This position is located in the Department of Biology at Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana.
- BS in Bioinformatics, Computer Science or related field/experience
- At least 5 years of programming experience
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Advanced experience working on Linux/Unix systems
- Moderate experience with Apache, Tomcat, MySQL and PostgreSQL
- Some experience with XSLT, Java, version control, unit testing and writing documentation a plus.
More information here.