OpenHelix provides comprehensive training and outreach programs for bioinformatics resource providers. UCSC contracts with OpenHelix to provide tutorial suites for the UCSC Genome Browser, as well as Quick Reference Cards, onsite seminars, and outreach programs.
Tutorial Suite Description
There are three freely available tutorial suites on the UCSC Genome Browser:
- UCSC Genome Browser: An Introduction
- UCSC Genome Browser: Custom Tracks and Table Browser
- UCSC Genome Browser: The Additional Tools
Each tutorial suite includes:
- An online, narrated, multi-media tutorial, which runs in just about any browser connected to the web, can be viewed from beginning to end or navigated using chapters and forward and backward sliders. The 30-60 minute tutorials highlight and explain all the features and functionality needed to start using the resource effectively.
- PowerPoint slides with suggested script and slide handouts used as a basis for the tutorial with a suggested script for the slides that can be used by instructors in their classrooms.
- Step-by-Step Exercises for hands-on experience with the tool
Multiple Valuable Uses Over the years, we have found that the tutorial suites are used in a number of ways. You can:
use these to teach students, staff, or faculty at your institution.
use the tutorial suites to learn how to use new or unfamiliar genomics resources they need as their work progresses
use the tutorial suites to keep abreast of new resources and technology, using the resource as an excellent staff training and career development tool
Quick Reference Cards Also freely available are the UCSC Genome Browser and the UCSC Table Browser Quick Reference Cards. These cards give you a handy reference of the features and functions of the Genome and Table Browsers. Up to 30 of each of the cards can be shipped within the U.S. at no cost (order form here).
Additional Tutorials You can find a list of other tutorials that are supported by resource providers at http://www.openhelix.com/free.
OpenHelix has over 100 tutorial suites (full list at http://www.openhelix.com/catalog) that are accessed through individual purchase or subscription.