We have an open position for a Bioinformatics Software Engineer at dictyBase, the model organism database for Dictyostelium discoideum. The dictyBase resource consists of a small group of bioinformatics engineers and scientific curators who work closely together in a stimulating environment developing the leading bioinformatics resource to maintain, distribute and annotate the genomes of Dictyostelium and related dictyostelids. We are located at Northwestern University in downtown Chicago, IL,USA.
We are seeking for a software engineer to build and maintain web applications and bioinformatic database tools for our genomic resource. The developer will work on a team with life science investigators and other engineers to develop applications that incorporate data from sequencing centers, stock centers, public biomedical databases, and other experimental datasets. Responsibilities include analyzing requirements for projects, identifying technical and functional requirements, and designing and building web applications and/or bioinformatics database tools based on those specifications.
The software engineering team at dictyBase is highly collaborative and embraces agile software practices. Software developed at dictyBase are open source and managed through github and related open source ecosystem. We are especially interested in applicants who are team players with a commitment to good software practices such as unit testing, build and release management and excellent documentation skills.
Qualifications and Requirements
- An MS degree in Bioinformatics/Computational Biology/Computer Science or the equivalent of 2+ years of solid software development experience in Industry/Academic environment.
- Experience with at least one of Python, Perl or Java programming languages. Experience with modular and reusable (as opposed to ad-hoc/one time/throwaway script/program) software development is desirable. Familiarity with golang is a plus.
- Experience with relational databases(Oracle/PostgreSQL/MySQL). Familiarity/Experience with Postgresql is a big plus.
- Experience in building biological database particularly with gmod chado is a plus.
- Experience with Linux/MacOSX development(command line) environment is a plus.
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrated commitment to documentation
- Basic biological knowledge is a plus.
How to apply
Send a cover letter and a CV to email@example.com