LanzaTech Computational Biology Research Associates and Scientists (all levels)
Apply at: https://www.lanzatech.com/careers/ Multiple Computational Biology Research Associates and Scientists (all levels)
Join mission-driven LanzaTech revolutionaries building a sustainable solution to climate change, transforming pollution to clean our skies and recycling carbon into high value products we all use every day.
• 2021 Edison “Science Game-Changer” Award • 2021 Biofuels Digest #1 Hottest Company in Renewable Fuels, Chemicals & Biomaterials • 2020 Biofuels Digest #3 Best Company to work for in the Advanced Bioeconomy • 2020 Fast Company World Changing Company • 2020 CNBC #43 on Top 50 Disrupter Companies list • 2019 Chicago Innovation Awards Winner • 2019 Fortune Magazine - Change the World - Companies to watch • 2019 Kirkpatrick Chemical Engineering Achievement Award
LanzaTech is committed to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion as part of our mission, culture & core values.
The leading gas fermenting company in the biofuel and biochemical field, Lanzatech operates reactors at all scales, from the laboratory to commercial plants, including one of the largest dedicated gas fermentation R&D facilities in the world, and has pioneered bioengineering of our microbial biocatalyst on a first-of-kind anerobic biofoundry platform. Computational Biology collaborates with research teams across the organization, applying metabolic modeling, metagenomics, variant analysis, omics, systems and network analysis, machine learning, and other approaches to meet commercial goals, and to continuously improve our biocatalyst and gas fermentation process. Our vision is to build ever more perfect and predictive models and to achieve ‘model organism’ status for our biocatalyst in the area of acetogenic gas fermentation. We strive one day to comprehensively ‘Compute the Organism” in silico across time and scale. The growing CompBio team seeks your energy, ideas, commitment and enthusiasm to help advance our understanding of biocatalyst biology while supporting LanzaTech’s commercial projects and business objectives. Some things you might do in this role:
- Develop pipelines for genetic variant, assembly annotation, metagenomic composition, functional omics, network and systems analysis
- Identify key biological risks to process success in collaboration with other departments, including Synthetic Biology, Strain Development, Process Development, and Engineering; design and execute computational research studies to address these risks.
- Integrate and analyze public and proprietary transcriptome, proteome and metabolome data to extend understanding of biocatalyst biology
- Build metabolic models at genome and community scale, and assess model performance against the expanding storehouse of reactor performance measures
- Collaborate with cross-department technical teams for project planning and execution, including US government grant applications
- Apply machine learning to our reservoir of data encompassing fermentation process and microbial strain design
- Mentor research associates and technicians
- Create a new capability based on skills that uniquely you bring to the table.
Required: • PhD degree (Scientists) or BS MS (Research Associates) in bioinformatics, computational, quantitative or systems biology, chemical engineering, microbiology, microbial ecology, or another related major. • Demonstrated record of research excellence in experimental or computational biology (publications, patents or deployed code) • Deep understanding of bacterial physiology, genetics and/or biochemistry, familiarity with metagenomics concepts • Experience with at least one programming language, such as but not limited to Python, Java, C#, Matlab, R, or C++. • Experience with statistical analysis of high dimensional datasets • Experience with standard bioinformatics toolkit
Desirable: • >2 years’ experience working in an industrial biotechnology or other R&D environment • Experience designing and performing wet-lab work, especially performing adaptive laboratory evolution or metabolic engineering • Prior work developing containerized (Dockerized), reproducible computational workflows • Record of building full-stack (frontend, backend, database, API) applications • Experience with variant calling or microbial resequencing projects • Experience with microbial genomic annotation tools • Experience with genome scale modeling • Experience with application of statistical computing to biological problems • Familiarity with Linux operating system
These positions are open to candidates authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer (remote work possible for exceptional candidates). LanzaTech is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.