At Geltor we design award-winning ingredients for the world's biggest consumer product companies. Geltor is looking for a SENIOR BIOINFORMATICS SCIENTIST to join our Bioinformatics team in San Leandro, CA.
The Senior Bioinformatics Scientist will independently lead multiple research projects as a member of the research team. This role offers the opportunity to work on a combination of nucleotide analysis (NGS and transcriptomics data) and script development to enable proteomic-based new lead identification. This role will be pivotal to IP, Claims, and Geltor’s ability to move into new market areas.
- Create mathematical models, develop simulations, and perform pattern analyses on biological and biochemical systems.
- Conduct research using informatics and bioinformatics theory and methods in areas such as proteomics, metabolomics and transcriptomics.
- Apply biological and statistical knowledge to draw rigorous, actionable conclusions form complex data sets.
- May build and maintain databases for processing and analyzing genomic or other biological information.
- Create scripts to enable new lead identification from public databases, using a combination of calculated and publicly available data.
- SNP analysis of NGS data for guiding strain design strategies.
- Prepare reports and presentations summarizing methods, results, and conclusions.
- Manage and mentor junior scientists in their responsibilities.
- Collaborate in cross-functional teams to support research projects.
- Lead by example, champion Geltor, and uphold company values
- PhD with 5+ years work experience OR a Master’s degree with 11+ years experience in bioinformatics, biostatistics, data sciences or a closely related field
- Proven experience writing novel scripts in R and/or python for biological data analysis
- Proficient with nucleotide data analysis tools, such as SAMtools, Geneious, TAC, etc., as well as familiarity with common protein search and analysis tools such as UniProt, ExPASy, etc.
- Ability to independently lead complex bioinformatics projects as well as coordinate and direct the work of junior staff.
- Effective communication skills and the cultural and emotional intelligence to develop and nurture collaborative relationships in a diverse environment with global reach.
- Some familiarity with conditional probability and/or simulated annealing or other stochastic global search optimization a bonus.
- A positive, open, and intellectually curious team player who embraces the challenges and excitement of an entrepreneurial business
- Enthusiasm for and commitment to Geltor’s mission
- Commitment to building and leading high-performing, diverse, and inclusive teams, including goal-setting, performance coaching, and professional career development.
About Geltor Geltor designs high-performance, sustainable ingredients for consumer product companies by combining computation, biology and materials science. Our first products are collagen proteins optimized for cosmetics and personal care applications and produced through a proprietary animal-free fermentation process. The company was founded in 2015 and is headquartered in the San Francisco Bay Area.
At Geltor we believe the most innovative progress and scientific discoveries happen when we include, celebrate, and embrace difference. We are committed to building a team that includes and respects a variety of voices, identities, backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Geltor is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Click here to apply today!
For such a long post, it is glaring that it fails to provide a link to the company's web site or a way to apply.
This is a job opening for a bioinformatics scientist with a protein background. It's an unusual skillset because it's an unusually dynamic position with the chance to apply your skills to topics as broad as protein redesign, strain lineage analysis, and wound healing image analysis. If you are looking to apply your bioinformatics, statistical, and computational skills to a broad range of research challenges, then this is the position for you! https://jobs.lever.co/geltor/365d1c3a-83f7-480b-9718-f651cf2928b5
-Keith M., hiring manager