REFERENCE: 2021/21 DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 15 July 2021.
LOCATION: Badalona, Barcelona, Spain LINK: http://www.germanstrias.org/job-offers/682/linux-system-administrator
The Germans Trias i Pujol Research Institute (IGTP) needs to incorporate a LINUX SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR responsible for overseeing the High-Performance Computing (HPC) Platform dedicated to scientific computing. The HPC includes a cluster with 240 nodes, several servers, workstations, 500 Tb of disk storage and tape backup system, and provides support to IGTP research groups.
IGTP is a public research center located at the Can Ruti Biomedical Campus, Badalona, near Barcelona. The IGTP focuses its activity on performing research for improving people's health. The institute is attached to one of the largest university hospitals in the Barcelona area, the Germans Trias University Hospital (HUGTP) that constitutes the epicenter of the Biomedical Campus. IGTP is a member of the biocluster supported and supervised by the Generalitat de Catalunya. It is also accredited as a Center of Excellence by the Instituto de Salud Carlos III, acting as an umbrella organization for scientific research on Campus. Bioinformatics and genomics are research areas shared by many research groups at IGTP who use the computer cluster regularly.
- Degree in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Computer Engineering or equivalent.
- Experience in configuring and managing Linux computer clusters.
- Experience managing networks and networking hardware.
- Knowledge of scripting languages (bash, python, perl, ruby).
- Experience in automation of the installation of the operating system.
- Experience with configuration management tools (puppet, ansible).
- High analytical and diagnostic ability. Basic understanding of the principles of computer security and good practices.
- Experience in virtualization technology. Experience in control systems and firewalls.
- Experience working on scientific environments and installing scientific software will be valued.
- Good English level.
- Knowledged of Spanish or Catalan is not required.
- Windows administrators will not be considered.
It will be valued to have recognized by the competent organs of the Autonomous Communities or, in his case, of the General Administration of the State, a degree of disability equal or superior to the 33 per cent, or to have declared to them in situation of permanent disability in a total degree in a profession other than teaching, by Resolution of the National Social Security Institute, provided that they have the functional capacity to perform the usual tasks of the job.
The candidate will lead the HPC infrastructure of the institution. In addition to the day-to-day management tasks, he/she will be responsible for its mid- and long-term planning including new hardware acquisition and whole system evolution.
The tasks to be performed are:
- Installation and maintenance of the operating system (Linux, currently Debian).
- User access control.
- System monitoring.
- Queue system management (SGE).
- Software installation and upgrade.
- Database management.
- Management and installation of central servers as well as servers belonging to the different research groups and the High Content Genomics and Bioinformatics Platform
- Management of scientific data backups.
- Maintenance of hardware dedicated to scientific computing.
- Consulting for the acquisition and purchase of new computer equipment.
- Training of research staff in the proper use of scientific computer equipment.
- Coordination with the IT department (responsible for network administration, email and Windows software).
- Documentation of all Linux administrative tasks and procedures.
WHAT WE OFFER
- A core funded one-year full time contract, which will be extended after positive evaluation to an indefinite contract.
- Annual brute salary appropriate for the present call in function of experience and abilities of the candidate distributed in 12 payments.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Those interested must send a letter of motivation explaining their interest in the post, a CV and the contacts of 2-3 referees to the address firstname.lastname@example.org
APPLICATIONS THAT DO NOT INCLUDE THE REFERENCE CODE IN THE SUBJECT LINE WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: The call for applications will close on 15 July 2021.