Position Title: Research Scientist IV
Job Group: Professional & Scientific
Required Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree and 8 years of related experience
- PhD in computer science, bioinformatics, computational biology, molecular biology, genomics or related scientific field (or equivalent experience and depth).
- Experience with using Nextflow on HPC systems
- Experience developing tutorials and collaborating with scientists
- Solid knowledge in at least one programming language such as R, Python, or C++, and high programming proficiency in a Unix/Linux environment.
The Office of Biotechnology facilitates and advances programs in research, education, and outreach that contribute to the goals of Iowa State University’s Strategic Plan in the area of biotechnology.
The Genome Informatics Facility in the Office of Biotechnology at Iowa State University is seeking an expert level bioinformatician for a Research Scientist IV position. The position will participate in 1) data analysis: translation of big data into informative data toward the understanding of biological questions, 2) building cyberinfrastructure: pipelines, scripts and tutorials, 3) developing algorithms, pipelines and software and 4) publishing results in scientific journals and presenting them at national meetings and conferences.
The successful candidate will possess strong organizational skills, possess a high attention to detail; enjoy learning new areas: sequencing technologies, open software programs and a diverse range of biological systems; be able to analyze very large data sets using high performance computing infrastructures; and work independently and collaboratively to resolve problems and meet deadlines.
This is a regular with term appointment position(fixed term) that has the opportunity for renewal.
- Expert-level position possessing advanced professional and/or technical skills working under limited or no supervision
- Applies high-level professional knowledge and expertise to focus on ISU’s mission and meeting division, department or work unit goals
- Solves complex issues using highly-developed problem resolution skills
- Regularly provides recommendations regarding problems/issues outside the bounds of defined procedures and practices
- Utilizes high-level professional knowledge and expertise to provide guidance, recommendations, and set standards related to strategy, policy, and mission
- Leads projects of moderate to high scope and complexity with broad impact
- May provide supervision to other department staff (i.e., leads a small work team)
- Regular with Term Appointment (Fixed Term)
Proposed End Date or Length of Term:
- September 30, 2024
Number of Months Employed Per Year:
- 12 Month Work Period
- Full time
- PS811 (salary matrix available here, starting annual salary not less than $76,694 )
To apply for this position, please click on “Apply” and complete the Employment Application on Workday. Please be prepared to enter or attach the following:
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Application/Cover Letter
If you have questions regarding this application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-294-4800 or Toll Free: 1-877-477-7485.
Original Posting Date: October 29, 2021
Posting Close Date:
- November 19, 2021
Job Requisition Number: