Computational Biologist Research Scientist - 94132
Organization: EB-Environ Genomics & Systems Bio
Berkeley Lab’s Environmental Genomics & Systems Biology (EGSB) Division is looking for a Computational Biologist Research Scientist to join the Arkin Laboratory.
In this exciting role, you will support a researcher developing cutting edge approaches to environmental genomics and modeling used together to optimize prediction of the critical genetic factors and their variations that contribute to the fitness and activity of microbes in an environmental context.
In this role, you will participate in a computational and experimental research programs to (1) create ultra-high quality metagenomic analyses of environmental samples, (2) the taxonomic and functional composition and capabilities of complex communities, (3) infer the molecular mechanisms by which microbes thrive in diverse environments, and/or develop approaches to identify and dissect the selective advantages of micro diversity and mobile elements in differentiating the survival of specific microbes and mediating their interactions.
What You Will Do:
- Develop and pursue projects on new metagenomic analyses and subsequent testing of theories with controlled laboratory experiments.
- Contribute to larger project goals and develop strong working relations with teams by selecting and recommending appropriate methods for experimental design and long-term project planning.
- Help organize and supervise a small collaborative multi-institutional team of computer programmers, postdocs, graduate students, and undergraduates with respect to data tracking and analysis.
- Present research at international conferences and publish in high-impact, peer-reviewed journals.
- Create periodic reports to the management and principal investigators of the program.
- Maintain appropriate records and manage data to ensure accessibility and replication of work.
- Closely collaborate with other divisions on new data techniques and strategic planning for new program development.
- Lead group meetings.
What is Required:
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant experience in microbiology, microbial functional genomics, and high-throughput data analysis, particularly anaerobes beyond the highest customary degree.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in computer programming and computer aided design (depending on experimental or computation emphasis).
- Demonstrated organizational skills including multitasking, managing multiple projects in parallel, and meeting project deadlines
- Knowledge of microbial taxonomy, physiology, genetics, and evolution.
- Demonstrated written communication skills including a track record of writing successful scientific proposals and publishing high-impact work in internationally recognized peer-reviewed journals
- Strong supervisory and mentorship record with evidence of team management skills.
- Demonstrated verbal and interpersonal skills including experience corresponding with a diverse population of scientific collaborators in an interdisciplinary team environment.
What We Prefer:
- Ph.D. in Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, Genomics, Genetics, Microbiology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Chemical Biology, or related discipline.
- Experience with a broad array of field and laboratory biological measurements of microbial activity.
For full consideration, please apply by April 21, 2022 with the following application materials:
- Cover Letter - Describe your interest in this position, the relevance of your background.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume.
- This is a full time, exempt from overtime pay (monthly paid), 2 year, Career Track Term appointment with the possibility of renewal up to a maximum of 5 years total or conversion to Career appointment based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds, and ongoing operational needs.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will be performed onsite at the West Berkeley Biocenter (Potter St.) — Bldg. 977, 717 Potter St., Berkeley, CA
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://18.104.22.168/counter.php?id=225382 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Learn About Us:
Berkeley Lab (LBNL, http://www.lbl.gov/) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Working at Berkeley Lab has many rewards including a competitive compensation program, excellent health and welfare programs, a retirement program that is second to none, and outstanding development opportunities. To view information about the many rewards that are offered at Berkeley Lab- Click Here (http://www.lbl.gov/HR/html/Employment/total-rewards.html).
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program and U.S Federal Government requirements, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of employment at Berkeley Lab, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof of Full Vaccination or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral. Visit covid.lbl.gov (https://covid.lbl.gov/) for more information.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments.
Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab’s mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here (https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ofccp/posters) for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision (https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf) under 41 CFR 60-1.4.