Bioinformatics Analyst I (Research and Outreach Coordinator)
The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB), Institute for Genome Sciences (IGS) is recruiting for a Bioinformatics Analyst I – Resource and Outreach Coordinator for gEAR.
Comprised of an inter-disciplinary, multi-department team of investigators, IGS employs multiple omics and bioinformatics approaches to understand function in health and disease, to study molecular and cellular networks in a variety of model systems, and to generate data and bioinformatics resources of value to the international scientific community. Bioinformatics Analysts contribute to scientific analysis of data generated by multiple research projects using a variety of software applications. Their responsibilities include, but are not limited to, data analysis, data harmonization, results presentation, script writing, and outreach.
We are seeking a Bioinformatics Analyst I to support the gEAR resource. The gEAR (gene Expression Analysis Resource) is a web-based system that provides the ability to visualize, compare, and analyze expression data related to research on hearing (umgear.org; Orvis et al., Nature Methods, 2021, PMID:34172972). This position will focus heavily on coordination of activities related to gEAR user interactions and resource maintenance. A significant part of the work for this position will be to provide outreach to both existing and potential users of the gEAR with the goal to facilitate gEAR use as well as identify areas in which to add or enhance gEAR functionality. A second area of focus will be to generate and analyze multi-omics data as part of ongoing research on hearing.
UMB offers a generous benefits package, which includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
UMB requires all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources.
- Seek out multi-omic datasets generated from hearing-related research and submit them into the gEAR.
- Provide biological insight to curate dataset collections based on meaningful themes to help researchers easily access and understand evidence from multiple studies.
- Engage in outreach to researchers generating hearing-related omics data.
- Participate in community outreach and training through development and teaching of gEAR-related workshops, webinars, and other outreach events.
- Engage in community building activities such as distribution of newsletters and posting of news on the gEAR web resource.
- Perform analysis of omics data generated in-house as part of ongoing hearing research; submit this data to the gEAR.
- Organize primary and derived data into databases, displays, or graphic presentations for publication or web presentation; participate in manuscript writing.
- Provide help-desk support to gEAR users.
- Work with other analysts and engineers at IGS to add functionality to the gEAR.
- Participate in group/project meetings to present and discuss progress and results.
Education: Bachelor’s degree (Master’s or higher preferred) in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, or Life Sciences (e.g. Biology, Molecular Biology, Genetics, Biochemistry, Psychology, Microbiology).
Preferred: Experience with Python and/or R. Familiarity with working in a Linux environment strongly preferred.
Preferred: Experience with teaching in settings such as workshops and webinars.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to take initiative.
- Ability to effectively engage in outreach to existing and potential users.
- Ability to learn additional computer skills quickly.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to effectively solve problems within the scope of the position.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work well both as part of a team and independently.
- Ability to clearly document and describe work activities so that others can repeat the procedures.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience
Apply directly at https://umb.taleo.net/careersection/umb_external_staff/jobdetail.ftl?job=21000154&lang=en
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at HRJobs@umaryland.edu.
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request. You may also contact HRDiversity@umaryland.edu. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.