Senior Research Associate (Next Generation Sequencing) - 95919
Division: JG-Joint Genome Institute
Berkeley Lab’s Joint Genome Institute (JGI) is looking for a highly motivated, well-organized, and technically proficient Senior Research Associate to perform preliminary data analysis and interpretation related to various technology in next generation sequencing (NGS) library construction and to meet the goals of the large-scale genome, transcriptome, and epigenome characterization effort.
In this existing role, you will be responsible for understanding the latest sequencing technology, supporting new technology development and integrating new protocols onto JGI sequencing platforms. You will perform sample management, evaluation of sample quality, library construction, library quality evaluation and submission using LIMS systems.
What You Will Do:
- Perform preliminary data analysis to create various types of libraries from samples (DNA, RNA, chromatin, or cell/nuclei) including prokaryote, eukaryotic organisms, and environmental samples.
- Design and perform experiments, summarize results, and provide conclusions on R&D projects.
- Troubleshoot & optimize current library construction protocols to meet scientific research goals.
- Serve as a technical resource to other members in the group and recommend process and database improvements.
- Assist in project coordination with Project Management.
- Maintain an accurate and detailed laboratory notebook: document any deviations from established protocols.
- Write, update, and maintain Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Attend and present project progress in group meetings.
What is Required:
- A minimum of 2 years of relevant lab experience in Biology, Microbiology, Genetics, or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience with laboratory and molecular biology techniques such as nucleic acid purification, DNA cloning, PCR, NGS library preparation and sequencing.
- Strong analytical skills including experience troubleshooting problems, conducting preliminary analysis of data, and recording experimental data.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills including the ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment. experience documenting research results, maintaining accurate laboratory records, and managing data.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills including experience serving as a resource and working in a research team environment with a diverse group of scientific and technical staff.
What We Prefer:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Biology, Microbiology, Genetics, or a related field
- Experience in sequence data analysis/ interpretation.
- Knowledge in gene expression, epigenetic regulations, and plant genomics.
- Experience with lab automation and data management.
- Experience mentoring research technicians and students.
For full consideration, please apply by June 14, 2022 with the following application materials:
- Cover Letter - Describe your interest in this position and the relevance of your background.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume.
- This is a full time career appointment, exempt from overtime pay (monthly paid).
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will be performed onsite at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Learn About Us: Berkeley Lab (LBNL) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
The JGI’s mission is to provide the global research community with access to the most advanced integrative genome science capabilities in support of the DOE”s research mission to solve the world’s evolving energy and environmental challenges. The JGI supports projects in genome sequencing, synthesis, transcriptomics, metabolomics, and natural products in plants, fungi, algae, and microorganisms.
Working at Berkeley Lab has many rewards including a competitive compensation program, excellent health and welfare programs, a retirement program that is second to none, and outstanding development opportunities. To view information about the many rewards that are offered at Berkeley Lab - Click Here.
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program and U.S Federal Government requirements, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of employment at Berkeley Lab, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof of Full Vaccination or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral. Visit covid.lbl.gov for more information.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments.
Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab's mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links: Know your rights, click here for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4.