JOB DESCRIPTION AND POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
The Uzun Laboratory at the Penn State College of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Hershey, PA, is seeking a postdoctoral scholar in computational biology. Responsibilities for this position include data analysis, method development, scholarly activities and other related tasks.
1) Biomedical data analysis (40%): Statistical analysis of biomedical data by using existing methods and developing custom code scripts.
2) Bioinformatics method development (40%): Developing Bioinformatics frameworks using computational and statistical approaches for the problems that are not addressed adequately in the Biomedical domain.
3) Scholarly activities (10%): Generating academic outputs, such as presentations, grants, and manuscripts.
4) Related tasks (10%): Other related tasks assigned by the principal investigator.
Candidates holding a PhD degree in Computer Science, Math, Statistics (in hand at time of hire) or a related field are eligible to apply. Life sciences (Biology, Genetics, Biochemistry, etc.) PhDs with computational experience are also eligible for this position. Bioinformatics experience is preferred but not required. International scholars and members of underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply. PhD candidates who submitted their doctoral thesis and expecting to graduate no later than 2023 Summer, can also apply.
Prior hands-on experience in R and Unix/Linux shell scripting is required with demonstration in past projects.
The candidates are required to submit their electronic applications via PSU Career Portal. The following documents are REQUIRED for the application to be processed:
1) Cover Letter (1 page): Must contain a brief description of background, career goals and how they are related with this position.
2) Reference List (1 page): Must contain information for at least 3 references. For each reference, the following information is to be provided: Name, title, institute, department, email address, phone number, relationship (advisor, co-advisor, collaborator, etc.). Should include the PhD advisor as one reference. If that’s not possible, a short explanation must be provided for stating the reason (retirement, inaccessibility, etc.) for the exclusion, in this document.
3) CV (4 pages maximum): Must contain at least contact information, education, experience, publication list and skills.
4) Statement of Purpose (3 pages maximum): A detailed description of research and educational background, research interests and intentions and career plan. Must be composed of three sections :
4.1) Background: Expertise and skills gained.
4.2) Research Interests: Research intentions and goals for the postdoctoral role and afterwards.
4.3) Career Plan: Career goals and 5-year career plan.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: In order for the applications to be processed, all 4 documents MUST be uploaded during the application. The applications with missing documents will be discarded and NOT be considered for the position. If you have any questions or issues with the application process, please contact the Principal Investigator directly: yuzun at pennstatehealth psu edu.
This is a limited-term non-tenure line position funded for one year from date of hire, with possibility of refunding.
Employment will require successful completion of background check(s) in accordance with University polices.
Apply at: https://psu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/PSU_Staff/job/College-of-Medicine/Postdoctoral-Scholar---Computation-Biology_REQ_0000039061-1
The Pennsylvania State University is committed to and accountable for advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in all of its forms. We embrace individual uniqueness, foster a culture of inclusive excellence that supports both broad and specific diversity initiatives, leverage the educational and institutional benefits of diversity, and engage all individuals to help them thrive. We value inclusive excellence as a core strength and an essential element of our public service mission.
Employment with the University will require successful completion of background check(s) in accordance with University policies.